Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
• Candidate must possess a valid Class D NY State driver’s license.
• There are no education or experience qualifications for this class.
• Applicants must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position and be able to understand and carry out written or oral instructions.
The successful incumbent must possess the ability to properly and safely use a variety of hand and basic power tools in the performance of grounds maintenance duties that include:
• Grass cutting
• Debris and garbage removal
• Athletic field striping
Snow and ice removal tasks include:
• Hand shoveling of walkways and stairs, bus stops, doorways and handicapped access areas
Duties Description The Facility Operations Assistant 1 (Grounds) is part of the Buildings and Grounds department within the Facilities Department of the University. This position is responsible for maintaining campus cleanliness by utilizing both mechanical and hand methods such as sweeping, shoveling, raking, etc.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Remove refuse and debris as needed. This includes picking up litter manually or using equipment such as sweepers and litter vacuums
• Empty trash containers on campus. Assisting on garbage pickup using a garbage packer.
• Cleaning sidewalks using manual methods such as sweeping or power washing
• Work on horticultural tasks such as planting, pruning, and turf repair. This includes removing weeds from planting beds; planting trees, shrubs, and flowers; pruning trees and shrubs both from ground level and using a man-lift
• Repairing damaged turf using manual methods such as shoveling, raking and rototilling.
• Maintain proper grass height using hand mowers, self-propelled mowers and riding moving equipment.
• Removal of snow/ice from paved surfaces using hand shoveling/salting and some mechanical equipment.
During the non-winter months the work schedule is Monday – Friday 6:00am – 2:30pm. During the winter months the incumbent will be required to work 2nd and/or 3rd Shift, which may include weekends as bid on based on seniority.
In addition to the duties listed above the incumbent will contribute to a safe campus by responding to departmental seasonal needs as requested by the Supervisor.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Departmental Operating Needs:
• The candidate must be able to follow directions provided by the supervisor, complete tasks assigned and communicate effectively with coworkers.
• The selected candidate will be dependable, prompt and have a positive attitude.
• Incumbent must be willing to work overtime for snow removal and other seasonal requirements.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.