Minimum Qualifications Possession of a High School Diploma, or equivalent. Individuals must have the legal right to work in the United States; possess strong customer service skills; be able to work with people under stressful conditions in a calm and courteous manner; be able to stand and walk for 75% of the time; be able to lift and move up to 20 lbs; have the ability to work a flexible schedule.
Duties Description The New York Department of State's Division of Licensing Services (DLS), oversees the licensure, registration, and regulation of 32 occupations throughout the state. DLS licenses over 800,000 individuals including real estate brokers, notaries, private investigators, and appearance enhancement professionals. Through its licensing and business filing capacities, the division promotes business growth while protecting the health, safety, and welfare of all New Yorkers.
DLS announces exciting opportunities to serve as a Written Exam Proctor.
The Written Exam Proctor is responsible for securely administering written exams on behalf of the Department of State, Division of Licensing Services. The Written Exam Proctor will work with one or more other Written Exam Proctors, depending on the size of the exam site and/or administration. All test administrations must adhere to examination guidelines. Exams are administered by the paper/pencil method.
Written Exam Proctors generally work anywhere from 1 to 4 days per week, depending on the exam site.
• Understands and complies with all examination guidelines;
• Checks in examinees, verifies identification and explains exam process;
• Reads routine instructions to examinees;
• Monitors examinees during test sessions to ensure a secure testing environment;
• Assists in the distribution and collection of exam materials to examinees;
• Assists in the preparation of test materials for return to the Licensing Examination Unit in Albany;
• Provides aid to examinees in the completion of exam papers before testing begins;
• Reports suspected irregularities to the Written Exam Supervisor;
• Controls admission to and from the exam room;
• Fills out appropriate paperwork for the various exams that are administered;
• Assists in the training of new hires;
• Arrives on time;
• Follow COVID-19 precautions set by the Department of State which includes, but is not limited to, disinfecting surfaces, directing examinees to sanitize their hands, directing examinees to properly wear masks at all times, and assisting candidates in maintaining 6 feet distancing;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Written Exam Proctors are compensated $100.00 per day. Examination sites are located throughout New York State; please indicate geographic areas in which you are willing to consider employment (e.g. Statewide; City of Utica; Suffolk County; etc.).
Applicants will be fingerprinted and must submit to a background check that includes a review of criminal history and financial records.
The Department of State is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other category protected by law.
We are happy to provide reasonable and religious accommodations during the hiring process for those in need. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please send a request to HRM.Recruitment@dos.ny.gov.
All Department of State employees may be required to be tested weekly for COVID-19 unless they are fully vaccinated. Employees who are vaccinated must provide proof of vaccination status through a secure online portal.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.