Minimum Qualifications In order to be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on a current Civil Service eligible list, or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates will be required to pass or show proof of passing a keyboarding test that demonstrates the ability to enter text at a rate of at least 30 words per minute with at least 96% accuracy.
Duties Description Office Assistants perform office support and clerical work to meet the requirements of agency programs. Such work may consist of, but is not limited to: data entry; math or calculations; mail, supply, and inventory-related tasks; keyboarding and other document preparation tasks; answering telephones; completing forms; assisting customers; creating or assisting in the preparation of reports, charts, graphs, and tables; and other related activities.
• Cover reception window, check in visitors, as scheduled from other units in building, answer questions from public and other NYSDOT units and provide information to various parties regarding agency activities, transactions, and procedures. Refer inquiries as necessary to Public Information Officer.
• Operate various communication systems such as telephones and computers; and keep records of such communications.
• Operate, and perform basic cleaning and maintenance on, office machines and equipment. Clear paper jams in copiers, scanners and printers;
• Schedule appointments and meetings using various office tools.
• Perform routine processing activities, including typing letters, forms, reports for completeness and accuracy.
• Basic knowledge of various software such as: MS Office, Word and Excel.
Responsibilities May include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department's response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.