Minimum Qualifications You must be reachable on the Chief Computer Operator departmental eligible list OR be eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 or 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
52.6 or 70.1 Transfers
To be eligible for a 52.6 or 70.1 transfer, you must have one year of permanent service in a qualifying transferrable title allocated to salary grade 21 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website:
Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
55-b/c program appointment:
To be appointed via 55 b/c, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
Duties Description • Set up and review automated schedules using Time Sharing Option (TSO) and Enterprise Systems Platform (ESP) scheduling software to ensure that processing is completed accurately and on time.
• Handle deadlines and priority changes, ensuring that user needs are met.
• Provide Operations staff with all necessary batch scheduling instructions and check-off sheets.
• Monitor the progress of the batch schedules using ESP, System Display Search Facility (SDSF), and NetWorker Management Console.
• Verify that batch jobs have completed successfully using ESP, Sysout Accumulation Viewing and Retrieval System (SAVRS), and NetWorker Management Console.
• Automate new jobs, scripts, batch files and PeopleSoft processes using ESP Workload automation.
• Analyze job failures using appropriate software message manuals.
• Escalate failures to system and application programming staff, when necessary.
• Document all job failures and their resolutions on applicable incident report(s) and notify necessary staff.
• Update the automated job schedules using TSO and ESP to resolve schedule discrepancies or conflicts, and to avoid recurrence.
• Migrate MVS JCL into production libraries using TSO and Interactive System Productivity Facility (ISPF), making operational changes where necessary.
• Migrate AS/400 CL programs and files into production using Alden Change Management System (ACMS).
• Review and maintain all written documentation submitted for jobs being placed in production mode.
• Supervise and direct the daily shift activities of the Scheduling Services supervising computer operators.
• Maintain appropriate staffing levels, optimizing use of their abilities and supporting staff development.
• Ensure all shift chief computer operators, information technology specialist 4, and manager of significant decisions, issues, and matters that affect Scheduling Services and its customers.
• Ensure probationary and annual performance evaluations are completed timely and accurately for all subordinate staff.
• Provide accurate, responsive information when interacting with users to satisfy their production inquiries and requests.
• Ensure that Operators are given schedule instructions in a clear, concise manner.
• Communicate with support and technical staff when resolving job failures or setting up new procedures.
Additional Comments Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrates strong troubleshooting, problem solving and organizational skills.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
• Ability to interact with technical and business staff.
• Ability to work independently.
• Exhibits a positive attitude.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise resume and cover letter stating how you meet the minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 15, 2022. Reference Item #01936 -OER-EMZ in the subject line and on the cover letter for prompt review.
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section. The OER ID # should not be included.