120 New Scotland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications Non-Competitive: bachelor’s degree and one year of post-degree professional research experience in an appropriate field.
Substitution: 30 graduate hours leading to an advanced degree in an appropriate field may be substituted for the required experience.
Knowledge of genetics. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Duties Description The Assistant Research Scientist will support the Newborn Screening Program by relaying test results to clinicians, examining and testing algorithms and performing other duties as assigned. The candidate is expected to provide education to parents impacted by screening, hospital staff, the medical community at large and other newborn screening programs. The Program screens approximately 250,000 newborn specimens annually for more than 50 conditions.
Additional Comments "Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.. "
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Reference NMH/ARS/14697 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/ARS/14697, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position. Resumes will be accepted until August 12, 2022.