2373 ASP, Rte 1, Suite 3
Minimum Qualifications Possession of 1A wastewater treatment plant certification is required.*
*At the discretion of the appointing authority, a candidate who currently possess a wastewater treatment plant certification other than a 1A certification, or an unlicensed candidate, may be appointed to the position provided that the selected candidate is able to obtain a 1A wastewater treatment plant certification within the probationary period.
Duties Description Under the supervision of the Regional Maintenance Supervisor or designee (Park Sanitation Superintendent), the incumbent will be engaged in the following activities/tasks involved in the operation and maintenance of treatment plants:
- Observe, monitor, and operate sewage treatment plant and associated pumping, distribution, and storage facilities to provide and obtain acceptable effluents that meet all environmental and health standards for the Allegany Region.
- Make regular timely visual inspections of all wastewater treatment and water treatment equipment and systems.
- Monitor control panels, gauges, and flow meters to determine the flow of wastewater through the plant.
- Remove influent from initial bar screens to accelerate flow into the plant.
- Take samples of raw, and/or semi-treated wastewater as required by agencies having regulatory oversight.
- Perform standardized chemical tests, such as chlorine residual and dissolved oxygen.
- Adjust valves, gates, pumps, and other equipment to regulate flow of influent through the treatment process.
- Perform required analysis tests, take timely samples, and prepare chemical mixtures to ensure that all health standards are met, and safe potable drinking water is provided to our patrons.
- Record samples taken, tests performed and results, and action taken to meet regulatory requirements.
- Maintain accurate, neat, and timely records and logs.
- Maintain inventory of equipment and supplies, and requisition materials to ensure continuous plant operations.
- Perform a variety of maintenance tasks in a wastewater treatment plant and the surrounding areas of the plant, as well as potable water well houses and reservoirs, and surrounding areas.
- Perform preventive maintenance and repairs to all equipment, machinery, motors, pumps, mains, pipes, controls, etc. providing proper lubricants and parts required to ensure proper functioning of all systems.
- Supervise lower level and seasonal employees as needed and provide guidance, instructions and training required to accomplish the department’s objectives.
- Operates motor vehicles in daily rounds of inspections and collections of water samples for testing and will be required to operate the pumper truck.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Additional Comments OPERATIONAL NEEDS:
• Must possess a valid NYS CDL Class B Driver’s License with a Tank Endorsement, or be able to obtain the license and endorsement within the probationary period and maintain it as a term and condition of employment.**
• Must possess and maintain a valid NYS Driver’s License as a term and condition of employment.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within the probationary period, a Grade C Community Water Systems Operator certificate issued by the NYS Department of Health; and such certification must be maintained as a term and condition of employment.
• Must be available to work a variable schedule that includes weekends, holidays and/or evening shifts.
• Must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor.
• Must be reliable, flexible, and willing to work in a team setting.
• Must be able to communicate effectively with other staff and park patrons in a responsible and courteous manner.
**Under the provisions of the Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act (1991), this position has been designated Safety Sensitive. The incumbent is required to participate in pre-employment, random and post-accident drug and alcohol testing.
Learn more about our benefits for employees, visit: https://parks.ny.gov/employment/benefits.aspx
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
2373 ASP, Rte 1, Suite 3
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the agency’s operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters, or you can download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.nysparks.com. Please forward your application and resume, if available, to Valerie O’Connor, Administrative Assistant 2, NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, 2373 ASP Rt. 1, Ste. #3, Salamanca, NY 14779 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions concerning this position, please contact Valerie O’Connor at (716) 354-9101.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and agency operating needs.
Join our team! Come see why it's great to work for New York State Parks!