Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 19 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
*Proof of passing the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals in Engineering (FE) exam is required.
NOTE: This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities. Employees on the Civil Service eligible list will be considered and should not respond to this posting. If you are on the eligible list and not reachable, you may be eligible for transfer. You are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility or contact OGS Human Resources for your transfer options.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC:
To be considered for a permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list. Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) is a continuous recruitment examination. All interested candidates may visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/engineering/oc/ to review the minimum qualifications and apply online.
Duties Description Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Maintain knowledge of applicable State and Federal laws, rules, and regulations relating to hazard mitigation programs and share with project staff and stakeholders.
• Assist in all engineering activities for active and potential mitigation projects.
• Conduct Benefit Cost Analysis (BCA), reviewing proposed mitigation projects for technical feasibility and cost effectiveness utilizing FEMA’s Benefit Cost Analysis methods.
• Research mitigation concepts (existing and new) to enhance project proposals and communicate to staff, local, regional, and state entities.
• Prepare and deliver comprehensive written and verbal technical reports, briefings, correspondence, and related critical data as required.
• Prepare and conduct BCA and technical workshops to eligible sub-applicants.
• Conduct project-site visits throughout construction and at project completion.
• Prepare final inspection reports including photographs of completed project.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicle.
• Travel may be required, including during evening and weekends.
NOTE: Support of operations during times of emergency and disaster from State Emergency Operations Center (EOC), state field offices and/or local deployments may be required, which would result in a change and/or increase in working hours, locations and/or duties.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Pilot Program Guidelines.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.