Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of competitive permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Salary Grade 23 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
All transfer candidates are required to possess a NYS Professional Engineer’s license with current registration.
NOTE: This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities. Employees on the Civil Service eligible list will be/have been canvassed and should not respond to this posting. If you are on the eligible list and not reachable, you may be eligible for transfer. You are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility or contact OGS Human Resources for your transfer options.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC:
To be considered for a permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list. Professional Engineer 1 (Civil/Transportation) is a continuous recruitment examination. All interested candidates must complete the online application here: https://www.cs.ny.gov/engineering/oc/
The minimum qualifications for examination are as follows:
A New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration AND possession of bachelor’s degree or higher in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering, Construction Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Management, Construction Engineering Management Technology, Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Transportation Planning and Engineering, or Engineering Science with a recognized concentration in any of the above listed engineering degrees;
A New York State Professional Engineer’s license and current registration AND one year of full-time engineering experience with transportation projects related to highways/roadways, railroads, bridges, airports, waterways, building structures, or traffic management and safety systems.
Duties Description The incumbent serves as the primary contact on various disasters under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), and under the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) annual Building Resilient Infrastructure (BRIC) and Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) programs.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and maintain knowledge of applicable State and Federal laws, rules, regulations relating to hazard mitigation programs and share with project staff and stakeholders.
• Lead for all engineering activities, review all technical and programmatic drawings, specifications, and environmental analysis for active and potential projects.
• Manage technical activities to include conducting Benefit Cost Analysis (BCA), reviewing proposed mitigation projects for technical feasibility and cost effectiveness utilizing FEMA’s Benefit Cost Analysis methods.
• Organize, set priorities, and coordinate work plans identifying key deliverables, lead responsibility and critical dates.
• Research mitigation concepts (existing and new) to enhance project proposals and communicate to staff, local, regional, and state entities.
• Prepare and deliver comprehensive written and verbal technical reports, briefings, correspondence, and related critical data as required.
• Prepare and conduct BCA and technical workshops to eligible sub-applicants.
• Conduct project-site visits throughout construction and at project completion.
• Prepare final inspection reports including photographs of completed project.
• Deploy staff to support the State Emergency Operations Center or field office during emergency or disaster activations and ongoing events.
• Participate in recruitment activities including interviews and recommendations for hiring staff.
• Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicle.
• Travel may be required, including during evening and weekends.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Pilot Program Guidelines.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.