Minimum Qualifications Preferred Qualifications
• The incumbent will be designated as a peace officer and must be a United States citizen, reside in New York State and maintain New York State residency during employment, as well as meet all other requirements related to peace officer status.
• The preferred candidate will have a minimum of eight years of law enforcement experience or in the conduct of field investigations preliminary to criminal litigation or to criminal prosecution, with at least five years experience in conducting financial fraud investigations to include no -fault insurance fraud; an understanding of law enforcement agencies throughout the country; the ability to analyze criminal history reports; the ability to conduct research, investigative interviews and prepare written memoranda detailing the results; the ability to analyze financial documents and filings, including mortgage records; and possess excellent presentation, organization, writing, telephone and computer skills, including the ability to work with spreadsheets.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The New York Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, more transparent and resilient financial system that benefits New Yorkers and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation, and operational excellence, DFS is responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health and stability of the financial entities we regulate; and driving economic growth through responsible innovation.
The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking candidates for the position of Investigator to work in various business units to investigate criminal and fraudulent activities in our regulated financial institutions in support of DFS’ efforts to enforce the Banking, Insurance and Financial Services laws. This may involve travel and undercover operations for extended periods and irregular hours, including weekends. The duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs a wide variety of enforcement, regulatory and licensing investigative activities, pursuant to the Banking, Insurance and Financial Services Laws and the Department’s regulatory obligations, in order to gather information and report facts;
• Reviews assigned cases or complaints from the public;
• Plans the scope and method of an investigation based on office policy, accessibility of information and importance of a case;
• Meets with and interviews witnesses, complainants, proprietors, prospective licensees and others to obtain information relating to an investigation and take statements from individuals in an appropriate format, taking care to include a full description of the facts needed to support an investigation;
• Develops leads and informants and conducts surveillance and engages in undercover work often using a camera, recording device, or other equipment to document findings;
• Obtains and safeguards evidence according to agency procedures and legal requirements;
• Confers with law enforcement and other entities to convey and obtain information relevant to an investigation and to develop and maintain rapport to ensure mutual cooperation in the conduct of an investigation;
• Participates in joint agency operations targeting patterns of non-compliance or violations by regulated entities;
• Prepares factual written reports of information gathered during an investigation and discusses investigative findings and recommendations with supervisors and program specialists;
• Recommends an appropriate course of action consistent with findings and agency policy and practices;
• Assists with witness preparation and fact and evidence development during trials;
• Testifies at administrative proceedings or in court regarding the details of investigations and related conclusions; and
• Other appropriate and occupationally related duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment Status: This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than September 15, 2022 to the email address listed below. Please include Box# (Box INV) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.