504 W Main Street
Minimum Qualifications Four years of full-time experience in a trade under a skilled, journey-level carpenter or mason, which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program; or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in skilled trades at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services.
When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated.
Duties Description The incumbent at this location performs journey-level work in either the primary trade of carpentry or the primary trade of masonry, and semi-skilled work in other trades as needed. The incumbent will:
• Repair and maintain facilities and equipment, including historic buildings, structures, and mechanical installations within the Sackets Harbor Battlefield.
• Follow the National Park Service guidelines on preservation of historic structures and assets with guidance from the New York State Parks Bureau of Historic Sites staff at Peebles Island, as needed.
• Repair roofs, replace shingles, repair or replace doors and windows, and other carpentry work.
• Utilize building materials such as stone, brick, and concrete block to construct or repair walls, partitions, and chimneys.
• Mix or direct the mixing of concrete or mortar for the repair of historic foundations or stone walls.
• Remove broken or loose plaster and prepares surfaces for the application of coats of plaster to walls and ceilings in historic buildings.
• Perform the re-pointing of foundations on historic buildings.
• Use a chainsaw to fell and remove trees.
• Use a variety of small equipment and hand tools.
• Operate and complete daily maintenance procedures for tractors, trucks, backhoe, skid steer and mowers.
• Assist with maintenance of roads, paths, and trails.
Additional Comments OPERATIONAL NEEDS:
• Must possess and maintain a valid NYS driver's license as a term and condition of employment.
• Applicants must be able to perform medium to heavy physical labor.
• Must possess or be able to obtain Game of Logging certification Level 1 & 2 within the probationary as a term and condition of employment.
• Must possess or be able to complete lift training and fall protection training within the probationary as a term and condition of employment.
• Must be able to train and supervise others.
• Must be able to plan, layout, and diagnose maintenance problems and read plans and specifications.
• Must be able to operate heavy equipment, such as tractors, backhoes, and skid steers.
• Must be able to make purchases following all purchasing guidelines.
There are various benefits that a permanent employee is entitled to, based on their negotiating unit:
• Vacation, Holiday, Sick, And Personal Leave
• Health Care Coverage
• Retirement Plan
• Payroll Deduction Savings Plans
• Tuition Assistance Programs
• Life Insurance and Disability Insurance
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Employee Wellness Program (EWP)
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
P.O. Box 247
Notes on ApplyingTO APPLY:
If you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the Agency’s operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters, via the agency’s internal intranet site, or by downloading an application from either the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website - https://parks.ny.gov/documents/employment/FillableUpdatedParksEmployeeApplicationS1000Part1ThousandIslands.pdf.
Please forward your application, resume, and 3 supervisory work-related references to TI.email@example.com with the Subject line “TG Sackets Harbor” or by mail to Peyton A. Taylor, Regional Director, Keewaydin State Park, P.O. Box 247, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and operational needs for the position.