75 New Scotland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications This position requires a New York State Professional Engineer’s License and current registration.
Candidates must have permanent status as Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical), Grade 24, and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be eligible to transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law by having at least one year of permanent service in another Professional Engineer 1 parenthetic.*
The Engineer Examination Program offers the opportunity to apply and compete in a Department of Civil Service test utilizing an online questionnaire at any time. The information provided in the online questionnaire will be used to review applicant qualifications and will serve as the test for this position. You may access additional information as well as the examination announcement online at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/engineering/oc/.
In order to be eligible for appointment, candidates must have either:
A. A New York State Professional Engineer's license and current registration AND a bachelor's degree in one of the following fields: Aerospace Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Architectural Engineering Technology, Building Engineering, Construction Engineering, Construction Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Management, Construction Engineering Management Technology, Fire Protection Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Engineering Technology, or Engineering Science with a recognized concentration in any of the above listed engineering degrees.
B. A New York State Professional Engineer's license and current registration AND one year of full-time experience in mechanical engineering.
*Under the New York State Education Department guidelines, all professional engineers must practice only in their area(s) of competency or they may be subject to disciplinary action.
Duties Description The New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) is recruiting to fill a Professional Engineer 1 (Mechanical), Grade 24, position assigned to the Administrative Support Services Group (ASSG), Bureau of Capital Operations. ASSG supervises and manages OMH’s capital planning and construction program, and provides direct technical assistance for physical plant operations and maintenance. The incumbent of this position will be responsible to provide oversight and mechanical engineering assistance to ensure contracts, projects and construction planning comply with mechanical system and preventative maintenance, ASHRAE and ASHE standards. The position will assist OMH in identifying and resolving issues related all mechanical system and building systems and infrastructure including HVAC, electrical systems and distribution, emergency generation, air filtration, boilers, chillers, cooling towers, switchgear, water treatment, elevators, as well as structural and non-structural maintenance of building assets. The position will provide technical direction and manage consultant resources and to provide guidance and direction to facility planners, facility plant superintendents and facility administrators on plant operations and maintenance issues impacting physical plant operations of OMH facilities. The position has responsibility for completion of an annual Energy and Mechanical Systems Audit of all OMH facilities and to assist in prioritizing requests for capital funding for identified physical plant improvements. Finally, the position will advise OMH’s Director of Capital Operations and Plant Superintendent A on critical and emergency needs involving OMH’s physical plant.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides technical engineering assistance and oversight to ensure contracts, projects and construction planning comply with industry and energy efficiency standards.
- Assists Director of Plant Operations and Maintenance in providing statewide oversight, support and management of OMH facility plant operations.
- Oversees mechanical system and building component aspects of construction plans for all new structures and renovation work.
- Assists with management and oversight of the OMH Comprehensive Energy Efficiency Program (CEEP), an annual OMH effort to improve energy efficiency and comply with energy regulations and Executive Orders to reduce fossil fuel consumption.
- Provide Technical Oversight of Facility HVAC Systems.
- Develop technical aspects of maintenance contracts totally an annual value of $20,000,000, in conjunction with the Director of Plant Operations, OMH facility staff and energy consultants, including detailed equipment lists, equipment specific workplans, bid estimates.
- Supervise an Assistant Mechanical Engineer and manage consultant team members. Address contract noncompliance issues such as failure to respond, overcharges, nonperformance penalties, and audit and billing disputes with procurement team, facility, and vendors.
- Provides programmatic oversight of the statewide computerized maintenance management system (CMMS). Reviews operations and facility use of OMH CMMS through periodic system-based reporting. Ensure assistance is provided to facilities who are not fully utilizing system functions.
- Statewide travel to all Psychiatric Center locations will be required for this position.
Additional Comments Based on federal and/or state regulations, this position requires vaccination against COVID-19. Upon appointment, the selected candidate must be fully vaccinated, or willing to become fully vaccinated, against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. Candidates who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of interview may not start working until two weeks after their final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Specific scheduled hours and telecommuting availability for this position will be discussed during the interview process. Please note, employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to operational needs and Agency Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
The Administrative Support Services Group is conveniently located in independent offices on the grounds of the Capital District PC at 75 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, New York. Guaranteed covered parking with exclusive employee entrance to office areas is available for $5/month.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. OMH is deeply committed to supporting underserved individuals, organizations and communities. To this end, OMH is focused on implementing activities and initiatives to reduce disparities in access, quality, and treatment outcomes for underserved populations. A critical component of these efforts is ensuring OMH is a diverse and inclusive workplace where the unique attributes and skills of all employees are valued and utilized to support the mission of the Agency. OMH is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
44 Holland Avenue
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for this position, interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume as an attachment in Microsoft Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position and Vacancy ID #109904 in the subject line of your email when applying.
You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with the Office of Mental Health, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay a fingerprint fee.