Minimum Qualifications Qualifications for the Policy Analyst position include the following:
• A minimum of 3-4 years of policy, legislative, and/or government experience demonstrating an increasing scope of work and degree of responsibility;
• Prior experience with federal, state or local legislative processes and prior federal, state or local government experience is strongly preferred;
• A master’s degree, such as an MPA or MPP, or a law degree is desirable, but not required;
• Excellent research, analytical and written communication skills, including the ability to understand and effectively convey complex policy and legislation issues to a range of audiences;
• Strong interpersonal and advocacy skills;
• Proactive, organized and detail oriented;
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment and manage shifting deadlines and multiple priorities effectively; and
• Highly collaborative, works well independently and as a productive member of the Policy & Legislation Team.
Duties Description The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s (OAG) Policy & Legislation Team is seeking a talented and motivated professional to serve as a Policy Analyst (PA). Located within the OAG’s Executive Division, the Policy & Legislation Team is primarily responsible for developing and managing the OAG’s legislative agenda and preparing the Attorney General for policy and/or legislation-focused events. The Policy & Legislation Team collaborates with OAG Bureaus to generate legislation and policy ideas, advances the OAG’s policy priorities by working with members of the legislature and relevant stakeholders, and tracks legislation and budget bills that will impact the agency. This position will be based in either New York City or Albany and will report to the Senior Policy Counsel.
Responsibilities of the Policy Analyst will include but not be limited to the following:
• Developing and advancing the Attorney General’s legislative agenda with the NYS Legislature, including helping to pass OAG-sponsored legislation;
• Liaising with legislators, legislative staff, stakeholders, and lobbyists regarding legislation;
• Tracking bills that are of interest to the OAG and monitoring relevant news and political developments that affect the work interests of the OAG;
• Conducting policy and legislative research and drafting memos for Executive Division staff;
• Preparing policy briefs and talking points for the Attorney General;
• Organizing and/or participating in special projects, including those that are related to the implementation of OAG-related legislation; and
• Assisting with the organization and daily operations of the Policy & Legislation Team, including supervising the team’s graduate student intern.
Additional Comments The annual salary for this position is $75,914 - $83,403 + $3,026 in location pay, if applicable. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of full vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you will be required to provide negative COVID-19 test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY:
Applications are being submitted online. To apply, please go to the OAG website, https://ag.ny.gov/job-postings
Reference No. EXEC/PL_NYC/ALB_PA_6224
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to Legal Recruitment.
? Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate.
? Please indicate your location preference: New York City or Albany.
• Writing Sample
• List of three (3) references
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
? Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov