AgencyCivil Service, Department of
TitleEmployee Health Services Physician 2
Occupational CategoryHealth Care, Human/Social Services
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $185200 to $185200 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications Current, valid license to practice medicine in New York State AND two years of full-time post-licensure medical experience in internal medicine, family medicine, preventative medicine, emergency medicine, or surgery.
Post-licensure medical experience in occupational health.
Ability to read and interpret normal and abnormal EKGs.
Ability to read and interpret drug testing results.
Administrative experience in a medical setting.
Medical or administrative experience in a government setting.
Duties Description Employee Health Services Physician 2 is responsible for the leadership and oversight of the Employee Health Service (EHS) including ensuring a quality of practice. This position is primarily administrative and managerial in nature. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Oversees the administration of EHS occupational health programs and participates in the formulation of statewide occupational health policies and strategic planning for EHS and other NYS agencies.
• Develops, maintains, and implements documented policies and procedures for the provision of services to individuals, client agencies, and employees served by EHS.
• Provides the Department and client agencies with medical policy advice in relation to NYS occupational health programs.
• Maintains liaison and good working relationships with other State policy making agencies concerned with occupational health matters.
• Develops minimal physical/medical standards for job titles where good health is essential to performing the duties of the job.
• Establishes all medical policies and standards for determining medical ability of workers to safely perform the duties of a particular job title.
• Reviews determinations made by physicians, nurse practitioners and psychologists of candidate medical qualifications and disqualifications for agency referral exams, occupational health examinations, and consultant examinations.
Supervisory and Managerial Role
• Supervises and directs the EHS Medical, Nursing and Administrative Staff.
• Provides staff with technical advice and assistance concerning the quality of professional practice which is consistent with established EHS policies and practices.
• Reviews work performance and output to evaluate overall efforts, provides feedback, develops and mentors staff, and implements new procedures which ensure efficient utilization of personnel resources.
• Prepares evaluations and/or makes recommendations related to staffing, hiring, policy development, meetings, cost containment, equipment and other matters related to EHS.
Medical Provider Role
• Serves as the medical provider for the purposes ordering of medication and vaccines for EHS.
• Serves as Medical Review Officer for the LabCorp contract and orders blood work and drug testing.
• Reviews and interprets laboratory and medical test reports.
• Clinical staff, including the Nurse Practitioners and Nurses, operate under the Medical Director’s medical license.
• Serves as the medical expert when testifying at legal proceedings or Civil Service appeals.
• Emergency Medical Care Provider for state agency Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Programs
• Serve a medical liaison to state agencies on preplacement, agency referral, and occupational health exams, alcohol and drug testing, immunizations, Narcan programs, DOH special projects, and other programs as necessary.
• As necessary, performs medical examinations to clients and makes diagnoses of illness and medical problems.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: DCS Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to DCS Telecommuting Pilot Program Guidelines.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address DCSHumanresources@cs.ny.gov
Street Office of Human Resources and Administrative Planning
Notes on Applying: If interested please send a resume and a cover letter indicating how you meet the posted qualifications. Please include the vacancy number in the subject line of your email.