One State Street, NY, 10004
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications listed below in order to be eligible for appointment.
• Ph.D. in economics, finance, accounting or mathematics and one year of experience in economic research, or financial research or analysis; or
• JD (law degree) or Master’s Degree in economics, finance, accounting or mathematics and two years of experience in economic research, or financial research or analysis; or
• Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, accounting or mathematics and four years of experience in economic research, or financial research or analysis.
Duties Description The New York Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, more transparent and resilient financial system that benefits New Yorkers and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation, and operational excellence, DFS is responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health and stability of the financial entities we regulate; and driving economic growth through responsible innovation.
The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Research Director in the Innovation Policy Unit within the Research and Innovation Division. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Works with large and complex data sets to solve problems using different analytical and statistical approaches;
• Identifies appropriate information sources and information collection methods;
• Reviews and monitors quality of data submissions by entities; monitors variances; identifies trends; recommends relevant actions to management;
• Reviews financial reports from supervised entities;
• Designs and prepares periodic reports in virtual currency and innovation policy;
• Maintains database integrity by entering, verifying, and backing up data in coordination with the Director of Data Governance and Management;
• Partners with cross functional teams to lead technical analysis, design, development, testing, and implementation of data initiatives;
• Leads data analytics projects involving junior staff;
• Provides quality review for junior staff analysis;
• Leads the development of key materials for senior leadership briefings and decision-making; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Professional financial services experience.
• Fluency in economic modeling, economic impact analysis, and/or financial modeling.
• Comfortable working with large volumes of data.
• Experience with data querying languages (e.g., SQL), scripting languages (e.g., Python).
• Experience with or statistical/mathematical software (e.g., R, STATA).
• Excellent communication skills, and detail oriented.
• Ability to distill key messages from complex information into insights.
• Ability to convey technical concepts to a lay audience.
• Ability to solve problems creatively and to multi-task across projects.
• Highly motivated and effective working autonomously and as part of cross-functional teams.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than October 30, 2022 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box RD-ADRFS-02705) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 473-3130 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.