Minimum Qualifications Two years of full-time experience in maintenance or mechanical work
under the supervision of a skilled tradespersons; OR completion of an appropriate two year technical school course at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services, such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership (NYS CSEA-P) Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program*; or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of appropriate technical courses at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services. Possession of a Class A CDL preferred.
Duties Description Maintenance Assistants use hand and shop tools to perform semiskilled maintenance and repair work on structures and equipment.
- Perform a variety of tasks of the buildings and grounds maintenance trades. Including but not limited to, preventative maintenance and repairs to plumbing, electrical and HVAC systems, carpentry, painting, furniture moving, landscape maintenance and snow removal.
- Assist in the maintenance of trails, parking areas, hunting & fishing access site elements, Department assets and infrastructure.
- Assist with the operation of the Vehicle Pool. Arrange for vehicle inspections, oil changes and repairs to be done in a timely manner.
- Maintain the Property Inventory database.
- Create and update data in the Maintenance Management System.
- Operate Lawn mowers, weed trimmers, chain saws and similar types of gas powered equipment. Operate a truck with snow plow.
- Perform a variety of tasks utilizing power and hand tools including wrenches, saws, hammers, drills, sanders, table saws and similar tools used in the construction and maintenance trades.
Additional Comments Must have a valid driver’s license or demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position. Use of personal protection equipment, including a respirator, will be required. Must be able to negotiate difficult terrain Must be able to work in remote areas. Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions. Travel may be required. Overtime may be required. Overnight travel may be required. Weekends and holidays may be required. Must be available for emergency response. Must be available to respond to after-hours emergencies. Must provide 24-hour response on a rotational basis and work during normal business hours. Must be able to lift and move objects up to 80 pounds.
This is a seasonal, hourly appointment with an anticipated end date of 03/31/2023. Program needs and funding will determine actual termination date. Actual work schedule, duties and travel requirements may vary and will be discussed at the interview.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Personnel, 10th Floor