Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERMANENT APPOINTMENT:
Candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service List for Community Mental Health Nurse
OR currently permanent in a title eligible for 70.1 transfer per Civil Service Rules & Regulations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT:
Candidates must be licensed and currently registered to practice nursing in New York State or possess a limited permit to practice nursing in New York State. (You must obtain your New York State license within one year of appointment or action will be taken to remove you from the position).
1. A bachelor's or higher degree in one of the areas listed below* AND two years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below**
2. 30 college credits in the areas listed below* IN ADDITION TO an associate’s degree in nursing or completion of a three-year nursing program AND three years of professional clinical nursing experience, including at least one year as described below**
*Acceptable areas including nursing, health care administration, public administration in a health care area, public health, community mental health, community mental health counseling, psychology, sociology, biology, social work or human services. The 30 credits may include up to two statistics courses. Courses/degrees in physical education, recreation therapy, English, history, math, anthropology, languages etc. are NOT acceptable.
**One year of experience in providing direct services to individuals diagnosed with mental illness, mental retardation, developmental disabilities, or alcohol or substance abuse in a COMMUNITY SETTING, e.g. a halfway house, visiting nurse, or a community clinic. SUBSTITUTION: A master's degree in community mental health may be substituted for this experience only.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION: Maintain a caseload of Family Care individuals as Primary Nurse.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Participates in plans to consider moving individuals to Family Care by ensuring that health needs can be adequately addressed in a particular home.
• Reviews the individual's medication regimen.
• Completes Nursing Assessment.
• Provide technical assistance using knowledge and nursing skills to enable FC providers, families, and Service Coordinators to access and/or provide appropriate medical care, obtain equipment, etc. in the community.
2. Visits Family Care home on no less than a quarterly basis to ensure health needs are being met.
3. Visits and/or interfaces with community hospital staff on a weekly basis when Family Care individual is hospitalized.
4. Reviews health care documentation; physical examinations, etc. to ensure routine and/or specialized health services are provided.
5. Assist in training Family Care providers in medication administration and record keeping.
6. Assist team members in clarification of medical procedures, preventive health care, and assist with obtaining appropriate measures for individual in crisis and emergency situations.
7. Assist with obtaining consents from family members and through the Court Consent procedure.
8. Assist in planning for hospital discharges; attend discharge planning meeting to assist the team.
9. Provide on-site visits as required pertaining to individuals and alleged incidents.
10. Will participate in Individual Receiving Services move from one home to another.
11. Participate in special assignments as required.
Additional Comments If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office (518) 473-9689 or Email at email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by August 19, 2022 to:
OPWDD Long Island
45 Mall Drive, Suite #1, Commack, NY 11725
Please reference the above EOA # 2022-180 in all correspondence.