Minimum Qualifications A Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in real estate planning, commercial leasing, and real property management. The successful candidate will have been directly involved with the negotiation or development of commercial and industrial real property transactions that included the disposition, acquisition, or utilization of real property or responsibility of lease and construction agreements. A Master’s degree is preferred
Additionally, the successful candidate will also possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Project management
• Critical thinking
• Crisp verbal and written communication
Duties Description Under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner for Real Estate, the incumbent of this position will be a member of the OGS Executive Leadership team. The role will serve as advisor and partner for senior executives across business units and manage the full OGS leasing portfolio which encompasses more than 400 leases across New York State.
The Associate Commissioner will be the primary lead for the OGS lease portfolio and manage its statewide Broker contract. The position will oversee all operations of OGS Leasing Services, including locating and negotiating property agreements for use by State agencies; long and short-term revenue leasing of State-owned properties, managing all Leasing Services staff, reporting, and forecasting future needs for lease operations. The leasing team regularly acts as a consultant and coordinator alongside the NYS Office of Information Technology Services to design integrated spaces with appropriate and secure technology networks, telecommunications, and furniture. It also supports all statewide requests for OGS agency client needs, including office, warehouse, industrial, and parking.
In addition, the Associate Commissioner will ensure that OGS successfully envisions, designs, executes, and closes out leasing assessments, negotiations, and expansions for our client agencies while providing timely and professional customer services. This position is expected to personally review more complicated contracts and maintain and review procedures for professional and clerical staff in all matters pertaining to the leasing of properties.
Other duties include:
• Manage the Leasing Services broker contract and associated projects and workload.
• Ensure that the work performed by contract staff in areas such as requests for service, assessments, lease negotiations and surveys are technically accurate, market appropriate, and in conformance with agency and State rules, regulations, and policies.
• Provide policy and technical advice to agency management staff regarding leasing program operations and legal limitations and requirements.
• Prepare or supervise the preparation of annual plans for assigned program operations.
• Support the division’s business units by clearly understanding internal programs and agency strategy, and then translate that knowledge to address challenges and client relationships.
• Participate in real estate portfolio strategy development and implementation, including monitoring compliance with goals and objectives.
• Coordinate with other OGS units in the development of position papers, plans, analysis and presentations for OGS Executive staff, the Executive Chamber, the State Comptroller, and the Legislature.
Key Near Term Initiatives:
• Review the use and efficacy of the real estate brokerage services contract and identify ways to maximize its use to assist leasing operations. Ensure the contractor supports the agency in the procurement and negotiation of privately owned leased space along with associated services in New York.
• Provide expertise to OGS and other agencies regarding leasing projects including management of the statewide lease portfolio.
• Review the lease portfolio for ways to more efficiently and effectively utilize leased space.
Additional Comments The New York State Office of General Services (OGS) provides essential services to our state and local partners, as well as the public. From operating buildings to construction management, establishing procurement contracts, and conducting tours of the Capitol, OGS is truly a diverse organization.
While our services may be “general,” many state agencies depend on OGS to fulfill their own mission and goals. As such, OGS must always seek to innovate and streamline its business processes, find new ways to serve our customers, and build public trust. OGS is committed to NYS’ larger mission to achieve savings for the state while improving organizational efficiency and is poised to take on the challenge of creating a modernized government that does more with less. OGS accomplishes this by retooling our focus on critical programs and services; redesigning the way we do business, and retraining our workforce to support a realigned agency.
OGS’ Division of Real Estate is the largest program area within the agency and is responsible for real property & facilities management, lease administration, management of state assets and land use, and a variety administrative functions and services. The Division’s goal is to maintain and preserve state assets and ensure the maximum utilization of the state’s real estate and real property assets on a Statewide enterprise level.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor, Corning Tower
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.