1111 Elmwood Avenue
Minimum Qualifications Nurse 2 Psychiatric – License and current registration to practice as a registered professional nurse in NYS ~AND ~ One year of post-licensure registered clinical experience including six months post-licensure specialized nursing experience with individuals, at least 50% of whom have been diagnosed with mental illness, alcoholism, or chemical dependency ~ OR ~ eighteen months of post-licensure registered nurse general clinical experience ~ OR ~ eligible to transfer.
Nurse 1 – License and current registration to practice as a registered professional nurse in NYS. (* After successfully completing 1-year of full-time service as a Nurse 1, incumbent will be advanced to Nurse 2 Psychiatric without further examination.)
NOTE: Candidates must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicaid and Medicare programs. Failure to maintain licensure, certification and Medicaid/Medicare eligibility will result in the termination of employment.
Mandatory overtime (MOT) is a requirement of this position. Chosen candidate(s) will be added to the mandatory overtime roster, which is utilized on a rotating basis. The MOT is applied during times of emergency, when all other staffing options have been exhausted (volunteers, hourly staff, contracted staff). Our Addiction Treatment Centers (ATCs) operate 24/7/365 programing. Therefore, MOT IS an essential function of this position and is critical to maintaining adequate staffing at all times in order to ensure the health and safety of clients within the facility.
OASAS ATC's are Tobacco Free Facilities.
Duties Description Under the direct supervision of a Nurse Administrator Psychiatric or a Nurse 3 Psychiatric, incumbents serve as members of a multidisciplinary treatment team performing a variety of nursing and patient care activities designed to ensure that patients receive all necessary care in accordance with the nursing care plan, established protocols, and standards of health care. Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Provides direct nursing care to patients, including comprehensive triage and initial admission assessments, dispensing medication, providing physician-ordered medical treatment, transcribing orders, performing vena-puncture, and collection of specimens for laboratory analysis or culture.
• Provides health education to patients, monitors patient behavior, and participates in treatment planning.
• Assesses the needs of patients, which can include an assessment of care received, services available, and work environments to identify potential obstacles to success.
• Handles crisis intervention with patients as needed (psychological, physiological, and behavioral).
• Maintains accurate and detailed reports and records electronically and/or physically as appropriate.
• May provide clinical supervision to licensed, paraprofessional, and direct care personnel (i.e. Addictions Counselors) involved in the care and treatment of patients and may assist in aspects of administrative supervision, such as developing/setting performance standards; and lead nursing educational groups.
• Participates in and contributes to assigned committees.
• May assist in general patient care activities, such as meal preparation & distribution and room preparation.
• Maintains a safe and therapeutic environment; monitors patients and ensures building security; and assists with inspections by governing agencies.
• Ensures narcotic controls through inventory at the beginning and end of shifts.
• Develops and implements educational health programs for patients.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Nurse 2 Psy - $54,903 - $69,882*
Nurse 1 - $49,202 - $62,806*
*Plus Geographic Differential $20,000
*Plus Shift Differential $2,000 (Evening); $3,000(Night)
*Plus Inconvenience Pay $575
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
Excellent Health Insurance Benefits Including Vision and Dental, NYS Employees Retirement System (Pension), Optional Deferred Compensation, Continuing Education Benefits, Generous Paid Leave Benefits, Compensation for 13 State holidays per year.
If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice .
John L Norris Addiction Treatment Center (ATC) is a National Health Service Corps approved site. If you are employed at John L Norris ATC as a licensed primary care clinician, you may be eligible to receive loan repayment assistance through the NHSC Loan Repayment Program (NHSC LRP). For more information on NHSC LRP, please visit: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loan-repayment/nhsc-loan-repayment-program.html
Background Investigation Requirements:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC) that includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.