Office of Facilities Planning
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in School Business Management.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Associate in School Business Management. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree or higher AND four years of professional level experience in educational administration where your primary duties (greater than 50%) involved education finance, education finance research, or fiscal management. This experience must have been within an elementary, middle or secondary educational institution, or in an educational oversight agency. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in School Business Management when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Examples of non-qualifying experience include, but are not limited to, experience as a:
• K-12 Classroom Teacher
• Tenured College Professor
• Adjunct Professor
• Graduate Assistant
• Teaching Assistant
• School District Official or School District Administrator in which your primary duties (greater than 50%) DID NOT include education finance, education finance research, or fiscal management.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in School Business Management position in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the general direction of the Supervisor, School Business Management, the incumbents of these positions will be responsible for coordinating and performing administrative review of public school districts and BOCES capital construction projects that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Review preliminary capital construction plans and scope of work submitted by school districts for financial aid estimates;
• Review final documents for compliance with Commissioner’s Regulations, Department guidance, and general municipal law related to public works projects;
• Ensure accurate data is reported to the Office of State Aid;
• Review and approve contract change orders to ensure they are appropriate to the project;
• Assist accountants in the review and processing of final cost reports for assigned projects;
• Provide technical assistance regarding projects and financial policies to school districts, financial consultants, architects and engineers working on public school projects;
• Conduct presentations to constituent groups to promote the Department's programs and policies;
• Respond to correspondence from parents, school administrators and legislators;
• Attend conferences and workshops designed to increase knowledge in school financial issues and to stay informed on developing financial trends in school districts and BOCES; and
• Perform special assignments, as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in School Business Management when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 29, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-966/61005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 29, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-966/61005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.