Minimum Qualifications This position is open to candidates who have one year of permanent competitive service as a Budget Examiner, G-18. The position is also open to NYS employees at or above G-16 who are eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grade levels. In order to qualify for Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in an administrative title as defined by Section 52.6. Examples of qualifying Section 52.6 titles include Senior Administrative Analyst, G-18 and Business Systems Analyst 1, G-18.
• Strong analytical, written, verbal and interpersonal skills;
• The ability to think creatively and strategically;
• Skills to successfully manage multiple assignments with tight deadlines, while showing attention to detail;
• The ability to work both independently and as a member of a team; and
• Proficiency in the use of office technology and Microsoft applications.
Duties Description The successful candidate will be part of a team responsible for the development, analysis, and oversight of the budget for the Division of the Budget; monitoring and reporting on fiscal operations; and assisting in Finance Office responsibilities.
Responsibilities of the Budget and Policy Analyst on the Budget/Finance team would include, but are not limited to:
• Developing and presenting budget recommendations for new and existing program areas, and evaluating proposals advanced by the Legislature;
• Ensuring that spending controls, applicable statutes, and administrative guidelines are followed when reviewing the fiscal and programmatic operations of an agency’s budget;
• Preparing budget, expense tracking, and monthly disbursement reports for internal and external use;
• Managing budget/finance transactions in the following Statewide Financial System (SFS) modules: Commitment Control, Accounts Payable/Receivables, Purchasing, and General Ledger;
• Assisting with the procurement and approval process of invoices, which includes communication with the proper State contacts to ensure invoices are approved and paid in a timely manner;
• Preparing and submitting Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises (MWBE) and Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business (SDVOB) assignments; and
• Working closely with Office of the State Comptroller, Statewide Financial System and Business Service Center liaisons on various budget/finance office processes.
Additional Comments To be considered for a current or future position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/ and select "Agency Finance” on the Professional Interests and Skills page.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for a current or future position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/ and select "Agency Finance” on the Professional Interests and Skills page.