Minimum Qualifications Education Level required: Graduate degree in business administration, public policy, urban planning, business administration, or related field.
Equivalent Experience required: 5+ years' experience working in economic or business development particularly as it relates to work within the innovation sector and ecosystem, partner and relationship development and management, or fund administration and management.
Knowledge required: Excellent program management, writing, researching, and presentation skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Strong understanding of small business support programs, community finance, policy, and public/private/
nonprofit stakeholders. Understanding of economic development issues and policy. Understanding of common small business challenges.
Duties Description BASIC FUNCTION:
Oversee implementation and management of new fund programs to support NYS to achieve its goal of greater access to capital for entrepreneurs of all backgrounds across the state. Select and manage relationships with fund partners and administrators to ensure funds are distributed and managed efficiently, and according to the guidelines of the program and ESD. Manage tracking and reporting of investment activities, and support partners to reach program goals and milestones. Provide internal coordination and communication with accounting and other ESD units for implementation and efficient management of programs. Reallocate funds, terminate contracts, and issue future RFPs as needed for program implementation. Conduct economic development field research for initiatives under consideration; frame the issue, needs and gaps in service; and identify program and policy options. Coordinate with Policy and Research and outside stakeholders as necessary. Assist in developing policy new programs including those within the Small Business and Technology Department.
• Manage, direct and oversee the implementation of the new State Small Business Credit equity programs including the Emerging and Regional Manager Fund and the Pre-Seed and Seed Partner Fund. This includes selecting and managing relationships with internal and external stakeholders: partner groups, fund managers, contracts, legal, and others as required. Track and monitor programs and manage reallocation of underutilized funds, termination or amendments to agreements, and any future RFPs under the program.
• Lead the effort to identify and select investment funds in underserved geographies and those that are serving founders and entrepreneurs in marginalized and underrepresented, underestimated communities as defined by program guidelines and New York State.
• Manage day-to-day operations of the Emerging and Regional Manager Fund including managing relationships with fund managers, supporting the success of their operations, tracking and reporting of the outcomes of the program and ultimate success of the fund.
• Manage day-to-day operations of the Pre-Seed and Seed Partner Fund including managing relationships with partners, committees, vendors and administrators, investment approvals and to insure adherence with program and ultimate success of the fund.
• Conduct policy and best practice research on areas of small business support, MWBE development, and economic revitalization. Develop white papers and present findings to senior staff. Assist in the development of program and policy recommendation memos, presentations, program guidelines, and implementation plans as required.
• Work with outside and internal legal counsel to secure Limited Partner Agreements for new investment funds.
• Design the reporting to the Federal Government and internal management processes for new VC program and funds.
• Manage other projects as needed and requested within the Small Business and Technology Division.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingExternal Candidates, to apply copy and paste URL in browser: https://bit.ly/3APr8cp
Internal Candidates: Please apply through ADP through the Myself/Talent menu
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY