Minimum Qualifications Four years of full-time experience in Locksmithing work under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program, or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in Locksmithing at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services; OR successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Locksmith) traineeship or a two-year carpenter training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Duties Description • Installation, maintenance and repair of a variety of locksets and mechanical keypad lock mechanisms.
• Pinning of cylinders, key cutting and maintenance of key control records.
• Installation and repair of door hardware.
• Locksmiths may supervise one or more subordinate maintenance assistants or helpers.
Additional Comments Application Process:
Candidates are required to provide specific, verifiable information about their qualifying experience. This information should be on the letterhead of the employer under whom the qualifying experience was gained and include names and titles of supervisors, duties performed during the training period and specific dates of employment and be signed by that employer.
• Candidates qualifying through the completion of appropriate course work should include a copy of their transcript or listing of course work completed.
• Copy of a trade’s union card is acceptable documentary proof of qualification.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
• Selected candidate must be eligible for membership in the Associated Locksmiths of America or an equivalent organization.
• Employee will need to be bonded.
• Strong knowledge of BEST Removable Core Master Key Systems.
• Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted New York State motor vehicle operator’s license.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are fully vaccinated are to provide proof of this upon hire. At this time all unvaccinated employees do not need to submit weekly testing for COVID-19. Please note the weekly testing requirement may change at any time.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.