Minimum Qualifications Thirty (30) semester credit hours, including twelve (12) semester credit hours in forestry, which must include at least one course in three or more of the following areas: botany, dendrology, forest biology, forest ecology, forest ecosystem management, forest entomology, forest health, forest mensuration, forest pathology, forest protection, forest soils, general soils, geographic information systems, land surveying, and silviculture
One (1) year of technical forestry experience in one (1) or more of the following areas: forest management, including sale and removal of timber products; nursery management, including the transplanting of tree or shrub seedlings; forest pest management, including control of diseases and insect pests.
Duties Description Candidates of choice will complete forestry work on State Forest properties in Region 8, under the direction of a professional forester. Successful candidates may be required to work alone, in rough terrain.
Specific tasks may include the following:
• Gather certain field data from random plots using hand held GPS unit and/or electronic data collector, 10 BAF prism, clinometer, tree scale stick, and other related equipment, using standard procedures
• Input field data into the State Forest inventory program
• Gather field data with hand held GPS unit and/or electronic data collector
• Assist with timber type mapping using GIS technology
• Assist foresters in marking forest product sales based upon a written prescription
• Perform timber volume computations
• Monitor sales activity for compliance with contract requirements
Essential skills include:
• Tree identification
• Tree diameter and height measurement
• GPS navigation
• GIS data manipulation
Additional Comments Must have a valid driver’s license or demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position. Must be able to negotiate difficult terrain, work in remote areas and in adverse weather conditions. Travel may be required. Must be able to lift and move objects up to 40 pounds.
This hourly position if currently funded through 3/31/23, with a possibility of continuing beyond that date. Actual work schedule and hours may vary and will be discussed at interview.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease email/mail your resume to the above. Be sure to include Posting #22-670 on your resume and also in the subject line of your email or it may not be accepted. You must submit a copy of your college transcript of qualifying courses with your resume. An unofficial copy is acceptable.