Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a master’s degree in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion, public policy, public administration, education or other fields related to diversity, equity and inclusion AND seven years of educational and/or administrative experience involving the coordination, implementation and monitoring of programs, policies and initiatives related to education or diversity, inclusion, equity, or equal opportunity; or directing, overseeing and monitoring programs related to diversity, inclusion, equity, or equal opportunity; or providing technical assistance or leadership to BOCES, districts, schools, or institutions of higher education. Three years of this experience must have been at a managerial level. The incumbent must also have relevant senior leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, education or government.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Special Assistant position in the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). Under the supervision of the Deputy Commissioner for P-12 Instructional Support in the Office of DEI, the incumbent of this position will function as Executive Director and will oversee all functions of the Office of DEI in coordinating the implementation and monitoring of statewide diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity policies, practices, and initiatives as well as ensuring effective practices are shared with the Department, educators, and stakeholders across the state. As the inaugural Executive Director of the Office of DEI, the incumbent will establish priorities for the Department as it relates to the primary function of the office; and plan and execute strategies in support of these priorities. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manage the daily operations of the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), including internal processes related to personnel, budget, and customer service-related activities;
• Collaborate with other NYSED administrative and program offices to identify and assess needs and opportunities as they relate to improving DEI and culturally responsive practices in New York State’s education system, build a culture of DEI, and integrate DEI into programmatic work across NYSED offices;
• Facilitate and coordinate systems to share effective practices regarding DEI with the Department, educators, and stakeholders across New York;
• Develop strong working relationships with DEI leaders in BOCES, districts, schools, institutions of higher education, and other public and private organizations across the state through the establishment of an advisory committee, site visits, meetings, attendance at statewide and local convenings, and Departmental initiated events;
• Review and collaboratively provide technical assistance to strengthen BOCES, district, school, and institution of higher education DEI policies and programs;
• Provide recommendations to senior NYSED leadership on improving DEI and culturally responsive policies and practices at the Department and for BOCES, districts, schools, and institutions of higher education;
• Articulate Department goals and objectives as they relate to DEI and culturally responsive education, including representing the Department at internal and external convenings;
• Deliver and assist in developing remarks and press releases on projects and initiatives relating to DEI to internal and external stakeholders including the Board of Regents;
• Advise and assist in coordinating the development and implementation of all DEI functions within the Department; and
• Supervise and provide direction to Office of DEI staff to ensure programmatic needs are met, with responsibility for all duties performed within this office.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 1, 2022 to P12JOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2226/21930) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 1, 2022 to P12JOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2226/21930) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.