Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
One or more of the following:
• Four years of full-time experience in plumbing under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program, or
• An equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in plumbing at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services; or
• Successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Plumber & Steamfitter) traineeship or a two-year plumbing training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
• A valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS is preferred as this position requires traveling within the campus, between the campuses, and off campus.
• The incumbent must have the ability to stand, bend, stoop, twist, kneel, reach and work from elevated heights using ladders and other equipment.
• This position requires moderately heavy physical effort.
Duties Description Position Summary:
Campus Living invites you to apply to the Trades Specialist (Plumber Steamfitter) position. This role offers consistent, daytime work hours and the opportunity to work overtime. In choosing to work for UB’s Campus Living, you will find a dynamic environment that encourages professional growth.
Your duties include:
• Installing and repairing plumbing fixtures and pipe system
• Planning and layout of work
• Troubleshooting plumbing and heating systems and equipment
• Supervising and leading other plumber/steamfitters as well as other skilled and semi-skilled employees in projects and day-to-day tasks.
• Serving as an expert and advising on domestic hot water systems, gas-fired heaters, low pressured boilers and building control systems.
Our team recognizes the advantages diverse perspectives and backgrounds bring to the workplace. We are particularly interested in candidates who share this value and will work to achieve the university’s goals of inclusive excellence.
Working at UB offers world-class benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards such as health and retirement plans, training opportunities and access to recreational resources. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. We focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal life, and academic pursuits in an effort to support work-life effectiveness.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.