Minimum Qualifications Canal Real Property Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Student Assistant:
Candidate must be a student actively pursuing a four-year or advanced degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Data Management or related field and possess an understanding of general GIS concepts, cartography, geospatial data management, and relational database concepts.
Required skillsets include:
• Working knowledge or ESRI products including ArcGIS 10.x, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS online
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office MO applications
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Strong attention to detail with excellent research, analytical and judgement capabilities
• Ability to effectively work independently and in a team environment
• Experience using Google Maps/Earth, including importing KML files
Duties Description Candidate is to assist Canal Real Property Management (CRPM) staff with mapping and GIS activities, such as developing and producing GIS visuals using ESRI’s ArcGIS suite of products to support NYS Canal Corporation initiatives and day-to-day operations; reconciling and updating GIS layer data with other data sources (e.g., NOAA, CIMS); updating/creating GIS tools and apps to assist Canal managers and engineers with project planning and making data-driven decisions; and performing continuous maintenance and improvement to digitized Canal GIS line work such as bank elevations, channel limits, contouring of bottom topology, and dredge depths.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 10/28/2022, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title, Canal Real Property Geographic Information Systems (GIS)-Student Assistant, in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.