AgencyIndigent Legal Services, Office of
TitleAssociate Counsel (working title: Attorney in Charge/Director of Western New York Regional Support Center)
Occupational CategoryNo Preference
Bargaining UnitM/C - Management / Confidential (Unrepresented)
Salary RangeFrom $108000 to $117500 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Exempt Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications The candidate should possess a Juris Doctorate; admission to or willingness to seek admission to the New York State Bar; and a minimum of seven years experience in criminal defense representation subsequent to admission to the Bar.
An ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to promoting high quality public defense, strong leadership skills, a high degree of professionalism and collegiality, sound judgment, and strong oral and written skills.
Duties Description The New York State Office of Indigent Legal Services (ILS) is launching a Western New York Regional Support Center in Buffalo. The ILS Western New York Regional Support Center (WNY RSC) addresses the compelling need for ILS to provide State expertise for local providers of indigent defense services and governments and to assure that the reforms initiated by the Hurrell-Harring settlement and its extension statewide under Executive Law § 832(4) will be implemented as effectively and as efficiently as possible in western New York counties.
The Attorney in Charge/Director of Western New York Regional Support Center reports to the ILS Director and is responsible for launching, promoting, and running an ILS Regional Support Center in Buffalo, New York.
Specific duties include:
• Forges and strengthens relationships with local government officials and providers of mandated representation throughout the region
• Promotes implementation of the ILS reform plans within the region, coordinating closely with the Chief Attorneys for the Hurrell-Harring Settlement Unit and HH Statewide Unit
• Identifies challenges to implementation of the ILS reform plans and works collaboratively with county officials and providers of mandated representation to develop creative solutions to meet the challenges
• Maximizes the best use of state funding by all providers and counties within the region to improve the quality of mandated representation, including negotiating budgets for ILS contracts with providers and counties within the region
• Promotes regional cooperative efforts including shared services agreements between and among counties
• Coordinates with the Director of Research to oversee progress of Resource and Data Specialist to ensure accurate and consistent caseload, quality initiatives, and counsel at arraignment data; also staffing, spending, case outcome and other data as ILS requires for each provider and county
• Oversees performance of Support Resources Specialist to assure compliance with Executive Law § 832(4)(c) initiatives to improve the quality of public defense
• Oversees work of Criminal Defense Counsel, Family Court Counsel and Appellate Counsel in the exercise of their responsibilities to support reform implementation and improve the quality of representation by all providers of mandated representation within the region
• Participates in scheduled meetings with agency leadership and other agency staff
Additional Comments The mission of Indigent Legal Services (ILS) is to improve the representation provided to New Yorkers facing criminal charges or family litigation who cannot afford counsel. Our agency’s work is transforming criminal defense and parental representation, while helping people in crisis achieve greater justice in criminal cases and maintain family integrity. Join us to help shape policy and practice statewide and to have a profound impact on justice statewide. Become part of a team of dedicated professionals who share your commitment to a more fair and just society.
ILS is committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace. These values not only guide our work; we believe they are essential to fulfilling our mission to improve mandated representation in New York State. ILS staff share responsibility for creating a more inclusive workplace. Diverse voices and perspectives only strengthen our ability to create transformational change. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
ILS welcomes candidates regardless of age, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, or arrest record or criminal conviction history.
We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including:
• Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Care Benefits.
• Life Insurance.
• Paid Personal Leave, Vacation, Sick Leave, and Holidays.
• Paid Family Leave.
• Health Care Spending Account.
• Dependent Care Advantage Account.
• Membership in the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System.
• Voluntary Defined Contribution Plan.
• Deferred Compensation Plan.
ILS employees are eligible to apply to telecommute part-time and/or adjust work hours in accordance with ILS’s policies, subject to supervisor approval.
Employees may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
The State of New York is committed to assuring equal opportunity for persons with disabilities. Requests for reasonable accommodations should be submitted to the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator at DEEO@OGS.NY.Gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address HRresumes@ogs.ny.gov
Street NYS Office of General Services, HRM
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.