Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Open Competitive Minimum Qualifications (Open to the Public)
• You must have a High School Diploma, GED or a Direct Support Professional Certification from an accredited public or private organization and a valid Driver’s License.
• If you are not on the current eligible list for DSA, please complete and mail a NYS-APP#4, 20-149 (http://www.cs.ny.gov/extdocs/pdf/20-149&20-150.pdf) to the DDSOO(s) that you are interested in working at. The Human Resources Staff at the DDSOO(s) you are interested in employment at will contact you with information related to this job opportunity.
Or for Transfer Opportunity
• Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Direct Support Assistant and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. To qualify for Section 70.1 transfer, you must have one year of permanent service in a title approved for transfer by the Department of Civil Service.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Office for People With Developmental Disabilities priority is the health and safety of the statewide 128,000 individuals with developmental disabilities receiving agency’s support. As a Direct Support Assistant, you would help individuals with developmental disabilities lead richer lives. Under supervision these positions will;
• Provide supports and services which involve advocating for.
• Encourage, guide and teach individuals in expressing personal choice.
• Ensure community integration.
• Assist individuals with personal hygiene care, toileting, dining, dressing, meal preparation, lifts and transfers.
• Help individuals to participate in games and recreational programs.
• Coach and encourage individuals to develop daily living skills.
• Provide a clean safe and comfortable environment.
• Work with other staff to carry out and record care plans.
• Administer medication in accordance with special instructions.
To learn more about what direct professionals do on the job every day, go to; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnK4z3KAqtE
Additional Comments Please note:
• As a participating agency in the Health Care and Mental Hygiene Worker Bonus Program (HWB), direct care employees may be eligible to earn up to $3000 in bonuses for qualifying service if they meet specific requirements including continuous service during the appropriate vesting periods. For more information on the program, please contact 518-388-0838.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
• Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture, and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.