620 Westfall Road
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment from the current Civil Service eligible list;
OR for Transfer Opportunity:
Candidates must have one year of permanent service as an Associate Psychologist and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law;
For Temporary Appointment:
Candidates must have a doctoral degree in a field of psychology; AND have completed a one year, full-time clinical internship or traineeship; OR one year of psychology experience in a clinical setting under the supervision of a Licensed Psychologist. Candidates must demonstrate on their application how they meet this qualification.
1. Non-qualifying degrees include, but are not limited to the following: education, educational psychology, educational counseling, guidance counseling, experimental psychology, industrial psychology, organizational psychology, student and personnel services, mental health counseling, human relations, etc.
2. Psychology experience in a clinical setting is considered to be any direct care experience with individuals, families, or groups in a hospital, clinic, private practice, or correctional setting under the supervision of a Licensed Psychologist. Qualifying experience must primarily include performing psychological evaluations or assessment tests, psychological diagnostic testing, developing psychological treatment plans, providing psychological counseling and treatment in one or more of the following areas: mental and/or emotional disorders, mental retardation, developmental disabilities, alcoholism, addictions, sex offender assessment and treatment, or forensic mental health.
3. The following experience is NOT considered qualifying: experience in administration, administrative services, administrative oversight, training, special education, behavior specialist, habilitation specialist, project management, research, or primarily supervisory experience. Other non-qualifying experience including, but is no limited to, experience in experimental psychology, research psychology, industrial psychology, organizational psychology, utilization review, guidance counseling, etc.
Associate Psychologist is a continuous recruitment examination. Candidates who are not on the eligible list may apply for this position and if appointed, will receive a temporary appointment. To apply for this examination, candidates must submit a completed NYS-APP form with their resume and cover letter. A NYS-APP form can be obtained by emailing NYS Department of Civil Service: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates appointed temporary must receive a score that is reachable on the resulting eligible list before they can be permanently appointed. Candidates who are found not qualified or who do not receive a reachable score may not be retained.
Duties Description • Provide psychological services under the supervision of a licensed psychologist;
• Design, develop, administer, score, and interpret psychological tests;
• Conduct psychological evaluations;
• Participate at treatment team meetings and assist in the development of behavioral/treatment plans;
• Participate in and lead individual, family and group counseling sessions;
• Provide administrative supervision to lower-level psychology staff;
• Prepare reports and maintain a wide variety of records.
Additional Comments • As a participating agency in the Health Care and Mental Hygiene Worker Bonus Program (HWB), direct care employees may be eligible to earn up to $3000 in bonuses for qualifying service if they meet specific requirements including continuous service during the appropriate vesting periods. For more information on the program, please contact 585-461-8818.
• The assignment of PS&T employees will be made in accordance with any agreed upon Memorandum of Understanding between PEF and the local DDSO regarding the posting of job vacancies
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
• Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture, and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
620 Westfall Road