Rockland Psyche Center, Building 57, Box 140
Minimum Qualifications An Associate’s degree with a specialization in Alcoholism, Substance Abuse or Chemical Dependency
One year of full time employment in a field requiring the application of communication skills AND one year of experience in a direct treatment capacity working in an addictions treatment setting.
30 college credits in a human services field may be substituted for the one year of communication experience;
10 college credits in specific alcoholism, substance abuse or chemical dependency courses may be substituted for the one year of specialized experience;
150 clock hours of relevant addictions for CASAC credential eligibility may be substituted for the one year of specialized experience.
Duties Description The Addictions Counselor Assistant serves as a member of the Addiction Treatment Center’s (ATC’s) multidisciplinary treatment team and works under the supervision of an Addictions Counselor performing duties related to the care and counseling of clients.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assists with individual counseling, group counseling, crisis intervention, treatment and discharge planning and clinical activities as assigned.
• Assists in developing, assessing, and modifying individual treatment plans by providing information gathered through direct observation and discussion with clients.
• Provides coordination of care with referral sources regarding admission and discharge, including referrals for aftercare.
• Completes required client and facility documentation (both electronic and paper) adhering to applicable OASAS procedures and confidentiality regulations.
• Conducts and monitors recreational, vocational, and social activities as needed.
• Assists with client transportation, room searches, and urine toxicology collection.
• Prepares room and client supplies for new admissions (bedding, bath, etc.)
• Conducts routine rounds and documents observations; maintains a safe and therapeutic environment.
• May provide training or guidance to newer or sporadic (hourly/contract) peers, particularly in relation to the routines, procedures, and policies of the ATC.
• May complete insurance inquiries and documentation regarding coordination of care with financial/insurance entities.
• Monitors clients and ensures building safety and security.
• Participates in meal preparation and distribution.
• Communicates shift change information as appropriate to facilitate smooth transition.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
NOTE: The ATC uses a computerized patient record system.
Blaisdell ATC is a Tobacco-Free Facility.
Additional Comments Background Investigation Requirements:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC) that includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf interested in this position, forward your current resume to Elizabeth.Madej@oasas.ny.gov and put title and vacancy ID # in the subject line of your email.
If you meet the minimum qualifications through a substitution, please submit documentation (i.e. transcripts, etc.) that clearly shows how you meet the criteria.