Division of Data Management, Research and Planning
Minimum Qualifications Permanent status as Research Scientist 1, G-18 and interested in reassignment; OR possess a Bachelor’s degree and two years of professional research experience in the appropriate field, OR a Master’s degree in the appropriate field and one year of professional research experience in that field.
Duties Description The Research Scientist 1 will help manage and analyze data containing information for clients and providers servicing individuals with Substance Use Disorder (SUD). This may include matching multiple tables and developing additional data sets to support various projects.
The responsibilities of the Research Scientist 1, will include:
• Responding to data requests and follow-up with requestors to clarify the intent of the request.
• Developing standard reports and dashboards
• Provide training, technical assistance for internal and external agency staff. Create and maintain reports, data manuals, and data dictionaries to assist with this responsibility.
• Provide basic geographic information using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Online.
• Work as a liaison with New York State ITS and participate in Data Warehouse project meetings to address issues and develop new enhancements.
o Reviewing and discussing project timelines
o Working with ITS staff directly to address data warehouse errors
o Having and understanding of tables and schemas in Oracle Business Intelligence (OBIEE)
The applicant should have some experience working with one or more of the following analytical tools: SAS, SPSS, ESRI’s ArcGIS, Tableau. Knowledge of Oracle OBIEE and SQL programing language is a plus.
The position requires excellent analytical skill. The applicant should have demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills, be highly organized, and be willing to learn new technologies. The Research Scientist 1 will need to be able to multi-task, prioritize assignments with minimal guidance and work collaboratively with other OASAS divisions and bureaus.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1450 Western Avenue, 4th Floor
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a resume and cover letter clearly indicating your qualifications to David.Jacobson@OASAS.NY.GOV. Please be sure to note vacancy ID 115470 in your response.
Please submit a Social Security Number if qualifying experience was gained through a State agency.