59 Maiden Lane
Minimum Qualifications Non-Competitive: One year of service as an Information Systems Auditor 2; or nine years of IT audit experience*, including two years of managerial experience.
*IT auditing experience must have been gained in any one or combination of the following:
• Responsibility for performing IT-related audits and examinations to determine the compliance of agencies, authorities, municipalities, and schools, including reviews of physical and logical access controls, general IT controls, and application controls, and the writing and presentation of findings reports of technical issues to a non-technical audience.
• Responsibility for the analysis and evaluation of information systems, such as platforms, applications, network infrastructure, and/or IT-related operational practices and the writing and presentation of reports of findings suitable for non-technical audience.
• Responsibility for supporting an audit group, such as designing, developing/programming, maintaining technological solutions in support of audit activity, and evaluating and developing artificial intelligence programs in support of audit activity.
Education/Experience Substitution: an associate’s degree may be substituted for up to two years of IT audit experience; a bachelor’s degree may be substituted for up to four years of IT audit experience; a master’s degree may be substituted for an additional one year of IT audit experience (i.e., up to five years of experience). There is a maximum of 5 years of educational substitution. Additionally, one year of generalized audit experience** may be substituted for one year of IT audit experience.
**Generalized audit experience - Performed performance audits in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards; analyzed areas for audit, addressed areas of risk; evaluated systems and procedures relating to audit areas for compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations and contract terms, as appropriate; ensured funds are utilized in accordance with laws and regulations, and proper and effective controls are in place for areas under audit; used computer assisted auditing tools and techniques across various platforms to meet audit objectives; determined the accuracy and completeness of computer-processed data, prepared audit work papers to document work done and conclusions; prepared preliminary audit findings or portions thereof, discussed findings with auditee representatives, and participated in exit and entrance conferences.
Duties Description • Leadership and Oversight: Provides strategic vision and leadership for the division’s IT-audit strategy and the technology and innovation auditing objectives, which includes, identifying, developing, and incorporating emerging technologies (e.g., artificial intelligence) and innovative solutions into the audit process. Advises division leadership on all matters related to the planning and management of the IT-audit strategy and the technology and innovation auditing objectives and special projects. Develops, implements, and oversees policies for the direction of the Unit’s work. Manages and directs the Unit’s activities, including setting priorities and deadlines.
o Ensures division’s IT Testing Labs are fully functioning and equipped with the most up to date collection of hardware and software to allow simulations and tests of computing environments that will be audited. Ensure that the labs meet the testing and training expectations set in conjunction with leadership. Leads the Unit’s consulting capacity with other division audit areas on sophisticated technical matters.
o Assesses the division’s annual audit plan to identify opportunities for integrated IT-related audit functions and the use of technology and innovative solutions on audits.
o Directs technology-related audits and innovative projects, approves plans and programs and develops follow-up plans. Directs the development of final recommendations or reports/solutions and conducts reviews of work performed by the Unit staff to ensure adherence to applicable OSC, division, and governmental auditing standards, as well as applicable IT standards.
o Demonstrates technical leadership in New York State Government and among external constituents. Directs the identification of, research of, and assessment of, and/or implementation of emerging technologies that will aid in the assistance of audits and special projects.
• Development of Audit and Special Reports: Reviews formal written reports of the division’s technical and innovative work, including draft audit reports setting forth recommendations for management and stakeholders to strengthen and improve operations, as well as identify cost or efficiencies savings, and best practices.
• Staff Development and Evaluation: Provides clear direction, expectations, and feedback to enhance staff development, not only in annual performance evaluations, but throughout the year. Provide guidance and support that facilitates critical thinking and the development of professional judgment. Identify appropriate training and professional development opportunities for staff. Ensures evaluations are accurate, objective, balanced and timely.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies
• Demonstrates outstanding leadership abilities
• Strong interpersonal and team skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrates a vision which links goals of staff and team with OSC and SGA
• Ability to manage large groups of diverse staff and multiple projects
• Expert experience in use of various IT audit software tools and techniques to identify system weaknesses. Experience in the use of diverse tools, software, and emerging technologies for innovative auditing
• Outstanding research skills in obtaining and validating critical information
• Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
• Demonstrates knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in technology and the audit profession
• Excellent supervisory skills, including coaching and developing staff
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street. 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and the attached template https://web.osc.state.ny.us/recruit/docs/2911-2912_ISA3_MQ_Template_10_2022.doc to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 18, 2022. Please reference Item #02912-OER-LDS in the subject line and on the cover letter.
PLEASE NOTE: All candidates MUST complete this template in full to demonstrate they meet the minimum qualifications. Candidates will be selected for interview based SOLELY on the contents provided by them on this template.
IMPORTANT: It is imperative that you provide specific examples to demonstrate your experience for each of the required qualifications listed in this template. Please ensure that you have fully described how you meet the qualifications by providing a FULLY DETAILED description of your experience. Any ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions will not be decided in the candidate’s favor.
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section. The OER ID # should not be included.