Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Three years of full time satisfactory experience in field or office civil engineering work. Training may be substituted or combined with work experience to meet the three year requirement as follows:
• An Associate degree from a technical institute or community college in engineering science, civil engineering technology, or architectural technology for two years of the experience.
• College training leading to a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture, on a year-for-year basis.
• Any satisfactory combination of technical institute, community college or college training in engineering science, civil engineering technology, architectural technology, or college training as described above, on a year for year basis.
Two years technical experience in the field of automated cartography; or completion of two years of college or technical institute studies in cartography, computer-aided drafting (CAD), Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or planning and surveying.
Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. May be required to utilize vehicles for site visits and other travel. Must report any changes in driver’s license status to supervisory chain of command.
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required – especially at Air Bases when flight line access requires SECRET.
Must be comfortable working at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must have demonstrated knowledge and qualifying experience in the use of CAD and GIS software.
Must be familiar with and be able to independently use commonly utilized software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all SFS, SLMS and other computer training as related to position duties.
Upon hire must meet and maintain as necessary any and all New York State or Federal certification/license requirements. Should regulations or statutes require additional recertification or training in the future, employee will be required to meet such additional training requirements.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current , and as amended, agency, statutory and NGB requirements and directives; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Under the supervision of the Base Civil Engineer, the Senior Engineering Technician assists in the performance of civil engineering work and provides engineering support services through the inspection of construction projects, participation in field survey work, management of small project survey parties, collection and analyzation of engineering data, review of contracts and contract specifications, and preparation and review of maps and plans.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with National Guard Bureau (NGB) standards (and where applicable those requirements of the Master Cooperative Agreement between the NGB and the DMNA), as well as agency and labor contract duties and responsibilities – current and as amended. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Specifically, Senior Engineering Technician duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Perform field tests of materials and construction, such as compaction tests and concrete air content tests.
• Visually inspect projects to determine compliance with specifications and commonly accepted construction methods and standards.
• Compute quantities of materials used, such as volumes, lengths, and batch slip weights, to determine correct payment of contract estimates.
• Provide routine interpretations of construction specifications to
• Meet with contractor’s on-site project supervisor to discuss and resolve problems noted during inspection, prepare inspection reports, noting problems and methods to correct them.
• Assist in or compiles records for projects from beginning of construction to completion.
• Gather all information needed for preparation of contract plans.
• Provide computer-aided drafting (CAD) support in the performance of field and technical investigations, drafting, surveying assistance, contract management, and engineering consulting.
• Provide Geographic Information Systems (GIS) support in the preparation of maps, sketches and diagrams of sites and proposed projects from data gathered from field surveys and office records.
• Prepares estimates of quantities of different materials needed for individual projects and calculates estimated project costs by pricing material and labor at prevailing rates.
• Prepare draft narrative and graphic material for inclusion in contract specifications.
• Assist in preparing alternate project plans, including evaluating efforts of different proposals on surrounding area and population and summarizing cost of alternatives.
• Perform engineering research and planning activities.
• May perform supervisory duties at assigned facility/s including but not limited to training, direct supervision, and assist in performance evaluations of subordinate staff. May fill-in for supervisor during absences as needed.
• Periodic overtime may be required
• Periodic travel may be required to other facilities; to attend training; or other requirements related to duties as needed.
• Other job duties as assigned.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
In addition: Stewart ANGB receives an annual Mid-Hudson Adjustment of $1,513.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note your specific license or certification to meet requirements.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL FILLED.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
ALL CURRENT PERMANENT DMNA STATE EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE INTERVIEWED TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ABILITY TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVISION AND ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION. THE REQUIREMENT TO PROVE QUALIFICATION SHALL REST WITH THE EMPLOYEE.
ALL OTHERS WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.