One State Street, NY, 10004
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications listed below in order to be eligible for appointment.
Non-Competitive: A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Actuarial Science, Auditing, Business, Business Administration, Business and Technology, Commerce, Consumer Sciences, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Economics, Econometrics, Finance, Information Systems, Information System Engineering, Internal Controls, Health, Health Administration, Law, Mathematics, Public Administration, Public Affairs, Public Health, or Public Policy and five (5) years of specialized experience in one (1) of the following of which two (2) years must have been at a supervisory level:
• Evaluating the adequacy of board and management oversight of the financial institutions' compliance programs.
• Reviewing lending, deposit, insurance and other transactions to determine compliance with Financial Service’s applicable laws/regulations.
• Identifying financial institutions' potentially unfair, deceptive, abusive or discriminatory acts or practices.
• Reviewing financial institution programs, policies and procedures for compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
• Evaluating financial costs for the failure of financial services entities to adhere or comply with New York State, federal, or other states financial services laws.
A Master’s Degree in one (1) of the related fields or a J.D. may substitute for one (1) year of specialized experience. A Ph.D. in one (1) of the related fields may substitute for two (2) years of specialized experience.
Duties Description The New York Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, more transparent and resilient financial system that benefits New Yorkers and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation, and operational excellence, DFS is responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health and stability of the financial entities we regulate; and driving economic growth through responsible innovation.
The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Virtual Currency Trust Compliance Specialist in the Virtual Currency Unit within the Research and Innovation Division. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plans and conducts examinations and reviews of fiduciary and private banking activities, and operations related thereto, at larger more complex banks and trust companies subject to supervision by the New York State Department of Financial Services;
• Oversees such examinations and reviews being conducted at smaller, less complex banks and trust companies;
• Reviews prior examination reports, and periodic reports submitted by institution(s) to become informed of specific problem areas, overall financial condition, management of institution(s) and to plan examination;
• Meets with institutions’ management to present credentials, discusses scope of examinations, requests information and materials needed for examination, and obtains general orientation to the institution's operations;
• Tracks laws, regulations, policies, and examination procedures of federal or other regulatory authorities relevant to the Virtual Currency Unit’s trust-related activities;
• Reviews financial institution programs, policies and procedures for compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
• Supports the Virtual Currency Unit’s ongoing supervisory relationships with limited purpose trust charter applicants, licensees, and key industry and public stakeholders;
• May supervise subordinate staff; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than January 4, 2023 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box VCTCS-FSS4-10443) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 473-3130 or via email at email@example.com.