120 New Scotland Ave
Minimum Qualifications G27 - Bachelor's degree in a Natural Science and five years of professional post-degree research experience in the appropriate field; or a Master's Degree and four years of such experience; or a doctorate in the appropriate field and two years of such experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Doctoral degree in Genetics, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology
American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) Board
Eligible/Certified; PhD in biochemical genetics, analytical chemistry, clinical chemistry, experience in newborn screening.
Duties Description The Research Scientist 4 will provide programmatic oversight of the administration and operation of the Newborn Screening Program. This position will ensure adherence to regulatory requirements and develop plans for continuous quality improvement based on data and program priorities. The candidate will ensure accurate result reporting, implement screening for new conditions (test development, and validation), explore new testing technologies, seek extramural funding and write manuscripts. The candidate will also perform regulatory functions for the Genetic Testing Section, including review of Certificate of Qualification applications, external validation packages and applications for restricted permits.
Additional Comments Contingent-permanent, full-time, non-competitive appointment. Routine travel, including occasional overnight travel and travel to areas which may not be served by public transportation, is required. (~10%)
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to email@example.com, with Reference NMH/RS4/14670 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/RS3RS4/14670, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position. Resumes will be accepted until November 30, 2022.