80 South Swan Street
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience of relevant experience. Four years of specialized experience or associate’s degree and two years of specialized experience may substitute for bachelor’s degree.
Preferred Qualifications: Strong written and verbal communications skills and a proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel and Word. Familiarity with the Business Services Center (BSC); and a working knowledge of Statewide Financial System (SFS) and FileNet are strongly preferred, but not required.
Duties Description This Special Assistant will join the Office of Indigent Legal Services (ILS) Grants Unit as a Grants Administrator and will assist in activities related to the distribution of grants and funds through a variety of procurements. The holder of this position will report to Assistant Grants Manager 1, who in turn reports to Assistant Grants Manager 2 and the Manager of Grant Solicitation and Distribution (“Grants Manager”).
Specific responsibilities for this position include:
• Organize, track, and manage claims for reimbursement submitted by counties in preparation for review by Assistant Grants Manager 1 or Assistant Grants Manager 2. This may include entering claim information in Excel or an online database, copying or scanning documents, and creating periodic claim status reports.
• Utilization of electronic systems such as Excel, the Statewide Financial System (SFS), and FileNet;
• Coordinate and prepare contracts, work plans identifying key deliverables, and critical dates by utilizing electronic systems such as Excel, the Statewide Financial System (SFS), and FileNet;
• Working under the supervision of Assistant Grants Manager 1 and Assistant Grants Manager 2, reviews claims for reimbursement and payments to ensure compliance with applicable guidelines and contract terms.
• Communicates with counties and indigent legal service providers to resolve questions related to the submission of claims for reimbursement, including obtaining additional supporting documentation, as needed, and encouraging submission of claims for reimbursement and proposals, as directed.
• Assists Assistant Grants Manager 1 in accounting for monies appropriated for grants and distributions, including use of tracking systems for payments.
• Assists Assistant Grants Manager 1 and Assistant Grants Manger 2 in managing the Statewide grants and distribution program, which serves the fundamental purpose of improving the quality of the legal representation provided to persons who are legally entitled to the assistance of counsel, but cannot afford to hire an attorney.
• Performs other related duties as directed by the Manager of Grant Solicitation and Distribution, Director of the Office of Indigent Legal Services and agency Counsel.
• All case-related information and knowledge obtained in the performance of these duties will be treated as confidential information, subject to the protections of the attorney-client privilege.
Additional Comments The mission of Indigent Legal Services (ILS) is to improve the representation provided to New Yorkers facing criminal charges or family litigation who cannot afford counsel. Our agency’s work is transforming criminal defense and parental representation, while helping people in crisis achieve greater justice in criminal cases and maintain family integrity. Join us to help shape policy and practice statewide and to have a profound impact on justice statewide. Become part of a team of dedicated professionals who share your commitment to a more fair and just society.
ILS is committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace. These values not only guide our work; we believe they are essential to fulfilling our mission to improve mandated representation in New York State. ILS staff share responsibility for creating a more inclusive workplace. Diverse voices and perspectives only strengthen our ability to create transformational change. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
ILS welcomes candidates regardless of age, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital or family status, domestic violence victim status, or arrest record or criminal conviction history.
We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including:
• Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Care Benefits.
• Life Insurance.
• Paid Personal Leave, Vacation, Sick Leave, and Holidays.
• Paid Family Leave.
• Health Care Spending Account.
• Dependent Care Advantage Account.
• Membership in the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System.
• Voluntary Defined Contribution Plan.
• Deferred Compensation Plan.
ILS employees are eligible to apply to telecommute part-time and/or adjust work hours in accordance with ILS’s policies, subject to supervisor approval.
The Capital Region is a great place to live with a low cost-of living in neighborhoods ranging from urban to rural within a short commute. Whether you are an outdoor enthusiast or an arts aficionado, there is something for everyone. From the beautiful mountains that surround the city to the historic churches and museums and pre-Revolutionary War architecture. With a 300-year history, there’s much to enjoy and explore.
Employees may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
The State of New York is committed to assuring equal opportunity for persons with disabilities. Requests for reasonable accommodations should be submitted to the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator at DEEO@OGS.NY.Gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.