330 Old Niskayuna Road
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university (preferably) in engineering, construction management, architecture or related field, plus two (2) years managerial experience preferably in the facilities management field.
Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university (preferably) in engineering, construction management, architecture or related field, plus four (4) years managerial experience preferably in the facilities management field.
Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university (preferably) in engineering, construction management, architecture or related field, plus six (6) years managerial experience preferably in the facilities management field.
Combined eight years of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate progressively responsible experience in facility operations involving physical plant activities at facilities of 750,000 – 1,499,999 square feet or facilities with tenant, patient, consumer or student populations of 1,500 – 4,999*. At least two full-time years of the qualifying experience must have been at the supervisory level.
* Other combinations of physical plant activities may be considered provided candidate can draw direct correlation to the outline square footage or population noted.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. Must report any change in driver’s license status to the State Human Resources Office (MNHS).
Must be proficient in, and able to independently use Microsoft Office software – MS Word and Excel. Ability to use PowerPoint and/or Access also preferred. **
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access all Statewide Financial System (SFS), Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) and other required training as related to job assignments. **
Must be able to read and write in English.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to the job duties and abilities noted above and combine to at least eight (8) years of credits and experience.
** Should related systems, regulations, procedures and requirements change, additional training and/or certifications may be required.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current agency requirements and directives noted above; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Directorate for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
The Facilities Management Supervisor reports directly to the Director of Facilities Management and Engineering (MNFE). They are responsible for providing management guidance to MNFE staff to ensure the integration of all New York Army National Guard armories and support facilities along with NYS and Federal programs to assure that all facilities function within desired standards and criteria established by the National Guard Bureau and the Adjutant General. The Facilities Management Supervisor has direct management and supervision over the Regional Supervisors, and Chain of Command supervision over skilled and semi-skilled staff assigned to designated facilities.
The Facilities Management Supervisor performs responsibilities in accordance with all current and amended, agency policies and procedures including National Guard Bureau (NGB) standards, specifically those requirements of the MCA, Federal and State statutes, and the contract bargaining agreement. The position may report to State and/or Federal supervisory personnel.
• The duties and responsibilities of this position require travel throughout the state.
• Reviews manpower activity, productivity, work standards, maintenance and repair priorities, security, function layout, and facility administration.
• Prepares memoranda containing requests or recommendations where appropriate and distributes reports to appropriate section for information or appropriate action.
• Conducts or supervises selection and promotion of the facilities work force.
• Prepares and forwards comments or recommendations and coordinates all manpower and facility staffing actions through the Director of Facilities Management and Engineering.
• Coordinates with Facilities Engineering in identifying, prioritizing all Federal funding programs to include rehabilitation of roofs, boilers, O&M and armory BMAR.
• Conducts security inspections and investigations of incidents as required and coordinates with STARC Physical Security Officer on matters relating to protection of arms, ammunition and storage of supplies as required by National Guard Bureau Regulations.
• Prepares and maintains current directives regarding facility security including those relating to NGR 190-11.
• Assists by providing management impact to training programs involving facility management, affirmative action programs, OSHA and code compliance.
• Maintains effective communications between this Division, facility managers and users of all facility assets.
• Provides assistance in all facility environmental matters.
• Coordinates all issues concerning the utilization of facilities as homeless shelter by the NYC Human Resource agency.
• Working knowledge of the principles of construction project scheduling.
• Working knowledge of State laws, rules, and regulations governing State construction and the approvals needed for projects.
• Working knowledge of construction management techniques and methods.
• Basic knowledge of construction costs.
• Basic knowledge of time periods needed for design and construction project elements.
• Ability to read, understand, and interpret contracts, procedures, and guidelines, often containing technical and legal terminology.
• Ability to communicate effectively with project participants, negotiate solution to problems and resolve conflicting work demands.
• Ability to prepare comprehensive building construction project plans and schedules.
• Ability to develop and implement alternative project and work schedules.
• Ability to discuss potential scheduling and project problems and implement solutions.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with clients, contractors, consultants, agency technical staff, and others.
• Ability to express ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Basic knowledge of construction program management.
• Ability to determine, negotiate, and establish project priorities within a small construction program.
• Ability to train and supervise subordinate staff.
• Must have strong organizational skills.
• Ability to perform tasks independently without supervision.
• Experience in multi-tasking and prioritizing multiple deadlines.
• Ability to research and prepare written material in a clear and concise form.
• Experience in meeting multiple deadlines.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel, labor organizations, and the public.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to prepare documents to be used for training materials or presentation to Executive leadership.
• Will complete and attend training as required.
• Ability to read and write in English.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• May require schedule modifications and additional hours to meet operational requirements. This position is not overtime eligible.
• Periodic travel will be required using various modes of transportation to attend training or other requirements related to duties.
• Performs other job duties as assigned.
Additional Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge or experience in state government facility operations.
• Experience with the Statewide Financial System (SFS) program and procedures.
• Working knowledge of the policies, procedures, and guidelines of the OGS Construction Management Program.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note any specific licenses or certifications in a skilled trade.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL FILLED.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
ALL CURRENT PERMANENT DMNA STATE EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE INTERVIEWED TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ABILITY TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVISION AND ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION. THE REQUIREMENT TO PROVE QUALIFICATION SHALL REST WITH THE EMPLOYEE.
ALL OTHER CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.