120 New Scotland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications "Non-Competitive: bachelor’s degree in the natural sciences and three years of post-degree professional research experience in an appropriate field.
Substitutions: master’s degree in an appropriate field may substitute for one year of experience, and Ph.D. in an appropriate field may substitute for an additional year of experience.
Preferred Qualifications: NYS Clinical Lab License; 3+ years experience in medical technology, experience in microbiology including culture techniques and molecular biology including PCR. The preferred candidate will have supervisory experience and experience with validation and implementation of new assays. Outstanding data analysis skills and excellent oral and written communication skills are highly desired.
Duties Description The incumbent provides oversight and supervision of testing needed to isolate, identify and characterize bacteria. The incumbent will be involved in outbreak investigations of public health concern. This position is essential for the detection and surveillance of vaccine preventable diseases, sexually transmitted diseases, antimicrobial resistant organisms and other bacteria. The individual will work closely with colleagues both internal to DOH and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to provide information on investigations.
Additional Comments Dependent upon the initial assignment or subsequent reassignment of this position satisfactory background checks may be required. Additionally, exposure to potentially hazardous substances may be involved with this position; the selected candidate may be required to wear personal protective clothing and equipment, and may undergo pre-employment and/or periodic health evaluations and receive specific immunizations.
"Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.. "
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Reference NMH/RS2/12361 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/RS2/12361, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position. Resumes will be accepted until December 9, 2022.