Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for a(n) Information Technology Specialist 2, eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 70.1 transfer to this title, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
For a 52.6 transfer to this title, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For a 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement. (Open Competitive exam announcement - ITS 1 & 2)
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description • Perform duties associated with administration and support of a virtualized Microsoft Windows Server/Active Directory/VMware vSphere environment.
• Administer, install, configure, and support Windows Server Operating systems, as well as enterprise server hardware and software.
• Diagnose and resolve server hardware and software problems.
• Monitor, evaluate, diagnose, and resolve server performance and capacity issues.
• Assist with Active Directory domain administration and Group Policy Object (GPO) implementation.
• Design, write and implement PowerShell scripts to administer Windows Server and Active Directory environments.
• Perform duties to support the virtualized VMware vSphere infrastructure including, but not limited to, building new hosts, management of ESXi hosts, deploying new virtual machines, monitoring performance, troubleshooting issues, utilizing virtualization tools including vCenter and vRealize, and working with Domain Name System (DNS).
• Participate in mandatory after-hours on-call support rotation and monthly maintenance outages, where work may occur on nights, weekends and/or holidays.
• Communicate status of assignments to supervisor/management, relaying information concerning delays and potential problems.
• Monitor status/availability of security patches and install on Windows servers, using WSUS, and manually install approved patches during monthly maintenance outages.
• Assist with updating OS, application software and firmware including development of remediation strategies and conducting implementation testing.
• Administer, monitor, and maintain antivirus security software for servers.
• Document procedures, implementation plans and system design documents.
• Assist in storage management, backup replication, and capacity planning activities.
• Utilize system management and event management tools to monitor and manage the performance and availability of networks, systems, servers, and storage.
• Perform customer support functions related to ServiceNow incidents and work orders.
• Collaborate and work cooperatively with Chief Information Office (CIO) staff, as well as other organizations at the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) and external entities, to diagnose and resolve issues and ensure customer needs are addressed.
• Assist in the research and evaluation of emerging technologies and propose solutions that will meet division goals and advance agency objectives.
• Communicate with vendors to obtain information and troubleshoot issues for hardware/software.
• Request and review vendor quotes for hardware, software, and maintenance/support.
• Perform inventory tracking and surplus outdated equipment (some lifting required).
Additional Comments Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrated experience with Windows Server OS (1 year to 2 years).
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Server Management and VMware server virtualization.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with MS Active Directory.
• Ability to develop and implement PowerShell scripts in MS Windows Server and Active Directory environments.
• Ability to work and collaborate in a dynamic team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to quickly master new information technology concepts using a variety of methods including on-the-job learning, research, and formal training.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrate positive attitude and foster mutually respectful and beneficial working relationships.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to email@example.com, no later than December 12, 2022. Reference Item #01897/07318-OER-EMZ in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Susan St. George, 518-408-4115
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.