Minimum Qualifications Required qualifications for the DBC position include the following:
• Applicants must have at least ten (10) years of New York State prosecutorial experience.
• Applicants must also have at least three (3) years of experience supervising and leading attorneys and support staff with the demonstrated ability to foster a collegial and productive working environment.
• A genuine interest in best practices regarding police/civilian interactions and the motivation to recommend change where change is needed.
• Substantial grand jury and trial experience as a prosecutor.
• Experience conducting complex investigations of felony crimes.
• Experience responding to and managing complex, active crime scenes.
• Excellent legal analysis, writing and editing skills.
• Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, problem solving and teamwork skills.
• Comfort with and proficiency using technology to complete legal work, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs and case management and electronic discovery platforms.
• Prior experience working with and in diverse communities and doing community outreach as well as experience investigating cases involving alleged law enforcement misconduct is strongly preferred.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that OAG attorneys be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Duties Description The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking an experienced criminal prosecutor and supervisor to serve as the Deputy Bureau Chief (DBC) for the upstate region of the Office of Special Investigation (OSI). OSI’s members investigate incidents throughout the state in which a police officer or a peace officer (including a corrections officer) has caused the death of a person. If warranted, OSI’s attorneys seek charges in connection with the incident and prosecute any resulting indictment. The DBC position provides a unique opportunity to join a team of experienced prosecutors, legal support staff, and detective investigators who work together to strengthen public trust in the criminal justice system.
Reporting to the OSI Bureau Chief and based in either Albany, Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse, the DBC will be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of approximately half of the Bureau’s personnel, who are experienced felony and homicide prosecutors and legal support staff, located at various OAG upstate offices. The DBC will be responsible for reviewing and editing a large volume of written work from attorneys, supervising grand jury presentations, as well as building and maintaining professional networks with law enforcement and community organizations in the upstate region. The DBC will also maintain a case load, as appropriate. Finally, the DBC will partner with a team of detective investigators who are assigned to OSI. The DBC requires availability outside of normal business hours and for periodic travel within New York State.
Additional Comments The salary for this position is $168,419. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingApplications are being received by email. To apply, please submit your complete application, including each of the items identified below, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must indicate both the position title and reference number (Deputy Bureau Chief, OSI_UPS _DBC_2022) in the email subject line and in their cover letter.
• Cover Letter
? You may address to the Legal Recruitment Unit.
? Indicate your location preference: Albany, Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse.
? Include the position title and reference number (Deputy Bureau Chief, OSI_UPS _DBC_2022).
? Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate. You may wish to include information about what life experiences you will bring to the position that will enhance OSI’s ability to better serve the diverse population of this state.
• Writing Sample
• List of three (3) references
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
? Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov