110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title, eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1, 52.6 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 70.1 transfer to a State Program Examiner 1, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in a 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above (12 or above for a Trainee 1, 14 or above for a Trainee 2).
For a 52.6 transfer to a State Program Examiner 1, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in a 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above (12 or above for a Trainee 1, 14 or above for a Trainee 2).
For a 70.4 transfer to this title, you must:
· have one year of permanent competitive service in a position allocated to a SG-16 or above (12 or above for a Trainee 1, 14 or above for a Trainee 2); and
· meet the current or anticipated open competitive minimum qualifications for this title; and
· not have failed the last promotion or open competitive examination for this title; and
· have passed an examination appropriate for this title and have standing on that eligible list.
55-b/c program appointments:
For a 55 b/c appointment, you must:
· Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement.
· Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary) · Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description · Audit of State Agencies, Programs and Authorities
o Developing audit ideas and objectives.
o Developing program steps to support objectives (e.g., audit filters, audit programs, team processes).
o Selecting high-risk transactions for audit (e.g., creating filters in various systems to identify high risk transactions for audit).
o Researching criteria (e.g., contracts, laws, rules and regulations, guidelines) and testing transactions to determine if the agency complied with the applicable criteria.
o Obtaining and reviewing supporting evidence to determine if transactions are appropriate and free from fraud, waste and other abuse.
o Obtaining and reviewing evidence to determine if agency received supplies and materials purchased and paid a reasonable price.
o Interviewing agency representatives to obtain testimonial evidence, which may include determining how the agency deemed transactions to be appropriate and gaining an understanding of the agency’s internal controls.
o Evaluating agency processes to identify why inappropriate transactions were approved.
o Communicating information to team, SPEII and management.
o Using computer-assisted auditing tools and techniques across various platforms to meet audit objectives. This includes developing user story ideas to identify inappropriate transactions in an efficient and effective manner and identifying new data sets that can be used to identify inappropriate transactions.
o Preparing audit working papers, which includes documenting meeting minutes, analysis and methodologies.
o Documenting audit results to share with the auditee (e.g., writing preliminary audit findings, letters, and audit reports).
o Discussing findings with auditee representatives, and participating in entrance and exit conferences.
o Auditing Unemployment Insurance, Pandemic Unemployment Assistance and Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation Payments and other pandemic related programs.
· Special Projects
o Assessing program risks for planning potential audits.
o Working on special projects or audit research efforts.
o Assisting in a variety of other areas supporting the audit work.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies
· Audit Concept – Candidate must: understand and embrace the concept of skepticism; embrace team concepts; be detail oriented; and show aptitude for organizing and analyzing data. Prior experience in auditing or with audit-related concepts is a plus.
· Communication – Candidate must: have strong writing, oral, interpersonal and communication skills; must be able to effectively listen and answer questions; speak in a positive, professional tone, confidently speak about accomplishments/ likes/ dislikes/ frustrations, and demonstrate ability to problem solve.
· Leadership – Candidate must: demonstrate ability to overcome obstacles; willingly take on challenges and effect change; demonstrate ability for problem solving; understand basic problem solving concepts; understand own role/responsibility within a team.
· Self-Development – Candidate must be: receptive to improvement opportunities; enthusiastic about training opportunities; interested in career growth; and able to learn quickly from mistakes
· Technology – Candidate must: display an aptitude for computer fundamentals; be familiar with Microsoft applications and Internet resources; and adapt well to technological change
· Work Ethic – Candidate must: be responsible, accountable and productive; display professionalism, integrity, initiative and intelligence; have the ability to work in a fast paced environment, manage multiple priorities, pay attention to details and meet deadlines; and show enthusiasm and interest in this position. Candidate must effectively articulate goals in line with the auditing position.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to email@example.com, no later than December 13, 2022. Reference Item #01475-OER-MD in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Beth Ferracane 518-473-5114
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.