Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law. If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position. The minimum requirements for taking the examination are:
The minimum requirements for taking the Promotional examination are: you must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as:
Either A. Assistant Land Surveyor 2, or Assistant Land Surveyor 3;
Or B. Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation), Construction Specialist 1 (Transportation), Mapping Technician 3, Mapping Technologist 1, Principal Drafting Technician (Architectural), Principal Drafting Technician (General), Principal Drafting Technician (Structural), Principal Engineering Technician, Principal Engineering Technician (Soils), or Real Estate Specialist 1.
OR The minimum requirements for taking the Open Competitive examination are: New York State Land Surveyor’s License with current registration.
Duties Description Under the direction of the Senior Land Surveyor, the incumbent will work with relative independence, supervise and direct the activities of field crews or right-of-way mappers, assign work and train and direct personnel. The incumbent must be able to coordinate multiple assignments simultaneously and be knowledgeable of current survey hardware and software such as semi-robotic total stations, digital levels, GPS and Microstation and Inroads. Duties may include but are not limited to –
• Review the preparation of digital terrain models, base mapping and survey reports prepared by the Department and its consultants.
• Provide quality control / quality assurance on all deliverables. Interact with supervisors, project designers, Main Office Photogrammetry section and others on project status and completion dates.
• Instruct others in the proper operation and maintenance of surveying equipment and proper field safety procedures for the crews and traveling public.
• Exercise professional judgment on complex highway or state land boundary determinations.
• Assist with the activities of the Regional ROW Mapping unit, review appropriation maps and other mapping prepared by the Department and its consultants to assure accuracy and conformity with current Department standards and procedures.
• Maintain project ROW mapping schedules and participate in meetings with Department groups regarding new ROW acquisitions.
• Sign and seal property acquisition maps in the absence of the Regional Land Surveyor.
• Respond to requests from other Department groups for highway boundary determinations.
• Respond to Freedom of Information requests for information and Department records.
Additional Comments All State employees in Executive controlled agencies, who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume with Notice Number R01-22-130 in the subject line and referenced in the cover letter no later than December 14, 2022.
NOTE: If you submit your letter of interest, resume and references via e-mail, please note the Vacancy ID # and title in the subject line.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.