1200 East and West Road
Minimum Qualifications • Must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor
• Must be able to understand and carry out written or oral instructions.
• Capable of working independently or as part of a work team.
• Valid NYS Driver’s License.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Cleaners perform a variety of routine manual tasks requiring light, medium and heavy physical effort in cleaning and caring for an assigned area in public buildings and adjacent grounds and sidewalks.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Washes floors, corridors, stairs and stairwells, walls, partitions, windows from the inside or outside of buildings using mops, brushes, detergents, buffers, floor scrubbers, and other cleaning implements.
• Collects, transports, and disposes of medical waste or spoiled linens in accordance with cleaning procedures.
• Cleans blood spills and bodily fluids, including urine, vomit, and feces.
• Strips and waxes floors; vacuums and shampoos carpets; and dusts assigned areas using manual or mechanical equipment.
• Cleans and scrubs all areas of lavatories and locker rooms, such as sinks, urinals, toilets, showers, shower walls and drains, tile floors, and locker room common areas.
• Replaces light bulbs, dust or washes light fixtures and high places such as ceilings using ladders and scaffolds.
• Cleans and polishes furniture, metal fixtures, and equipment.
• Removes hazardous articles on floors, furniture, and equipment and places them in designated receptacles or in appropriate places.
• Moves furniture and equipment in connection with cleaning activities or sets up for meetings or special events.
• Changes curtains and drapes, hangs pictures and other decorative objects.
• Empties trash, recyclables, and waste, in accordance with cleaning schedule.
• Assembles cleaning cart to conform to assigned cleaning duties and mixes and properly dilutes cleaning solutions in accordance with manufacturer directions.
• Wears appropriate protective clothing, and other specialized protective equipment as required by the cleaning assignments.
• Checks supplies and equipment functioning, and notifies supervisor of low supply levels, equipment malfunction, and building maintenance issues noted during cleaning.
• May be assigned to remove snow and salt walkways; clean sidewalks, yards, and drives; and mows lawns with manual or mechanical equipment.
• May be assigned to laboratories, clean rooms, operating rooms, or hospital, school, or custodial care settings that require a high degree of cleanliness and disinfectant processes that must be followed to minimize the spread of infection.
• May be required to mentor Individuals in their daily required tasks.
Additional Comments APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by December 14, 2022, to:
Human Resources Management Office
1200 East and West Road
Building 1, West Seneca Campus
West Seneca, NY 14224
Fax: (716) 517-3715
Please reference the above EOA #22-545bjd in all correspondence.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office (518) 473-4785 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• To be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
• OPWDD is committed to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas, and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.