2373 ASP, Rte 1
Minimum Qualifications Two years' experience in the operation and/or maintenance of a park, historic site, or recreational facility; OR two years' experience as a trades assistant under the supervision of a skilled trades¬person, or completion of an appropriate two-year technical/trades school course.
Duties Description The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Park Manager at Allegany State Park, Quaker Area. The incumbent will be responsible for the supervision, training, and scheduling for the Quaker Grounds Crew, and ensure the grounds of the Quaker Area are maintained to a high aesthetically pleasing standard. The incumbent will perform or assist with routine grounds work which will include, but is not limited to:
• Mowing, trimming, tree maintenance, playground maintenance, maintenance & grooming of snowmobile trails, plowing and snow removal, as well as maintenance and upkeep of the recycling centers.
• Perform routine maintenance of a variety of mechanical equipment including mowers, tractors, chainsaws, snowplows, and snow grooming equipment.
• Coordinate special event setup and breakdown;
• Be responsible for the removal of trash and other debris from buildings and surrounding areas;
• Assist with the hazardous tree program year-round, which will include assessment of trees under program criteria, recommending appropriate action, proper pruning and removal of trees (including stumps), and thorough record keeping, and the production and delivery of firewood.
• Address complaints or inquiries from park patrons.
• Perform necessary pesticide-based pest/vegetation control measures on an as needed basis in managed outdoor areas and document per NYS Department of Environmental Conservation requirements.
• Operate commercial vehicles as needed to assist with operational tasks such as the regional garbage truck, bucket truck, dump trucks, etc.
Additional Comments OPERATIONAL NEEDS:
• Must possess a valid NYS CDL Class B Driver’s License or be able to obtain a Class B Driver’s License within the probationary period and maintain it as a term and condition of employment.**
• Must possess and maintain a valid NYS driver’s license as a term and condition of employment.
• Must be available to work a variable schedule that may include holidays and/or evening shifts.
• Must possess Game of Logging 1, 2, and 3 certifications or be able to obtain Game of Logging 1, 2, and 3 certifications within the probationary period as a term and condition of employment.
• Must possess a NYS Category 3A Pesticide Technician Certification from New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), or be able to obtain a NYS Category 3A Pesticide Technician Certification from NYS DEC within the probationary period, as a term and condition of employment.
• Applicants must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor.
• Applicants must be able to communicate effectively with other staff and park patrons in a responsible and courteous manner under stressful conditions.
**Under the provision of the Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act (1991), this position has been designated Safety Sensitive. The incumbent is required to participate in pre-employment, random and post-accident drug and alcohol testing.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
2373 ASP, Route 1, Suite 3
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the agency’s operating needs, and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters or you can download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.parks.ny.gov/employment. Please forward your application and resume, if available, to Valerie O’Connor, Administrative Assistant 2, NYS OPRHP, Allegany Region, 2373 ASP, Route 1, Suite 3, Salamanca, New York 14779-9756, or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions concerning this position, please contact Valerie O’Connor at (716) 354-9101.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and agency operating needs.
Join our team! Come see why it's great to work for New York State Parks!
Learn more about our benefits for permanent employees, visit: https://parks.ny.gov/employment/benefits.aspx