Minimum Qualifications A bachelor’s degree in data or computer science, informatics, economics, statistics, mathematics, or
a related field, and three years of experience in data visualization, and statistical
models and data mining tools. A master’s degree in the above fields may substitute for one year of the specialized experience. A Ph.D. in the above fields may substitute for two years of the specialized experience.
Duties Description Under the supervision of the Director of Language Access, the Data Analyst will assist the newly established Office of Language Access in collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data; identifying weaknesses in current reporting mechanisms and data measurements and making recommendations for modifications; and visualizing, summarizing, interpreting, and reporting data findings.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Assists the Director in carrying out the requirements of the Language Access program which includes determining Limited English Proficient individuals’ languages in and across the State
• Responds to internal and external stakeholders regarding language access-related data requests
• Evaluates language access data sources to determine any limitations in terms of reliability or usability
• Collects, reviews, and analyzes data and reports submitted by the Language Access Coordinators
• Develops and maintains databases and dashboards for the tracking of statewide language access information and performance as well as process for ongoing data collection
• Maintains up-to-date data on languages spoken by the Limited English Proficient (LEP) population in New York State, its regions, and localities
• Works collaboratively with other staff to ensure the incorporation of relevant data measurements into program areas
• Collects and processes data utilizing survey and/or non-survey instruments, published and unpublished agencies’ statistics and records, on-site investigations, discussions with staff, and similar materials and sources
• Helps prepare materials for projects, proposals, and presentations such as tables, graphs, and fact sheets
• Presents results of studies or investigations to the Executive Director, covering conclusions and recommendations based on the evaluations made
• Assesses the content of current data systems to ensure that they support the analytic needs of the Office
• Conducts comparative performance and other data analyses as needed
• Attends meetings with advocates, legislature, state agencies, and other stakeholders as needed
Additional Comments The New York State Office of General Services (OGS) provides essential services to our state and local partners, as well as the public. From operating buildings, to construction management, establishing procurement contracts, and conducting tours of the Capitol, OGS is truly a diverse organization.
While our services may be “general,” many state agencies depend on OGS to fulfill their own mission and goals. As such, OGS must always seek to innovate and streamline its business processes, find new ways to serve our customers, and build public trust. OGS’s is committed to NYS’ larger mission to achieve savings for the state while improving organizational efficiency and is poised to take on the challenge of creating a modernized government that does more with less. OGS accomplishes this by retooling our focus on critical programs and services; redesigning the way we do business; and retraining our workforce to support a realigned agency.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are fully vaccinated are to provide proof of this upon hire. At this time all unvaccinated employees do not need to submit weekly testing for COVID-19. Please note the weekly testing requirement may change at any time.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPLEASE BE ADVISED, THERE ARE 2 POSTINGS FOR ONE ROLE.
If you are applying to this role and would like to be considered to be based out of the Corning Tower in Albany, please direct your application to #117689. Thank you!
Please submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.