Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title, eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1, 52.6 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 70.1 transfer to this title, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 21 or above.
For a 52.6 transfer to this title, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 21 or above.
For a 70.4 transfer to this title, you must:
• have one year of permanent competitive service in a position allocated to a SG-21 or above; and
• meet the current or anticipated open competitive minimum qualifications for this title; and
• not have failed the last promotion or open competitive examination for this title; and
• have passed an examination appropriate for this title and have standing on that eligible list.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For a 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement. (Information Technology Specialist 3 » Department of Civil Service (ny.gov))
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description • Install, configure, and support enterprise operating systems including but not limited to UNIX, Linux, IBM z/OS and IBM AS/400, running on x86, IBM pSeries and zSeries hardware platforms.
• Install, configure, and support 3rd party server infrastructure software.
• Assist in the development of, and support the adherence to, all Enterprise Server Services (ESS) technical and supervisory procedures.
• Monitor and respond to support tickets in a timely manner.
• Participate in hardware evaluation and selection.
• Provide professional support while interfacing with other team members, customers, and other technical teams.
• Create and manage shell scripts for automated tasks.
• Provide non-business hours support including scheduled maintenance outages, rotating on-call roster, and emergency production outages.
• Create and/or review reports each day for server status, escalating to the supervisor or manager when appropriate.
• Monitor resource utilization of servers running on x86, IBM pSeries, and IBM zSeries hardware platforms.
• Apply upgrades, patches and resolve security vulnerabilities on regularly scheduled intervals.
• Direct and supervise staff by communicating objectives and expectations, allocating resources, assigning tasks/projects, reviewing progress/deliverables, providing constructive feedback, etc.
• Encourage professional development for team members and develop training plans that will enhance the team’s ability to deliver solutions.
• Provide staff with training opportunities including, but not limited to on-the-job training, vendor sponsored events and formal outside training.
• Perform the full range of supervisory responsibilities including, but not limited to, development and completion of comprehensive performance evaluations and review of timesheets and telecommuting journals.
• Address personnel and employee performance issues timely and with discretion.
• Research and plan the maintenance process according to installation guidelines, communicate to customers regarding any outages.
• Collaborate with coworkers and other Chief Information Office (CIO) units to troubleshoot problems.
• Write and maintain documentation including infrastructure diagrams, troubleshooting article, and upgrade plans.
• Develop and maintain recovery procedures.
Additional Comments Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrated experience with Operating Systems (1 year to 2 years).
• Demonstrated experience including, but not limited to: Unix, Linux, IBM z/OS, AS/400, and Shell Scripting.
• Demonstrated ability with troubleshooting.
• Ability to multitask and work independently.
• Ability to work effectively under high demand situations.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to email@example.com, no later than December 20, 2022. Reference Item #00436-OER-EMZ in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Susan St. George, 518-408-4115
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.