Current New York State Employees
Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, competitive service or 55-b/c service in a qualifying title allocated to a Grade 6 and above and eligible for transfer** under section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
All candidates who are currently 55-b/c eligible are encouraged to apply for this position. If interested in this position and applying using your 55-b/c status, please provide a copy of your current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Civil Service Eligible List:
Candidates on the Beginning Office Assistant list have been canvassed and do not need to apply to this posting.
*Successful completion of a one-year traineeship leads to appointment as a Public Service Commission Operations Clerk 1, Grade 9.
**Candidates are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility.
Duties Description The Public Service Commission Operations Clerk 1, Grade 9, will work in the Central Operations Unit of the Executive Office’s Office of the Secretary, and perform duties that include, but are not be limited to:
• Providing technical assistance to individuals, researching and processing documents filed with the Department of Public Service, and making determinations as to document types and categories, ensuring that all are in compliance with the Public Service Law, State Administrative Procedure Act (SAPA) guidelines, and Commission Rules of Procedures.
• Performing complex and in-depth research using all available resources; possessing working knowledge of internal databases.
• Analyzing formal/informal petitions filed with the Secretary to the Commission and making determinations on appropriate categories and distribution.
• Creating new cases using internal databases.
• Processing Commission orders, notices, rulings, and tariff filings.
• Assisting Agency staff and the public with research and retrieval of public documents filed with the Agency; responding to inquiries with regards to Agency documents and the courses of action used to process same.
Additional Comments About the Department:
The primary mission of the New York State Department of Public Service (DPS) is to ensure affordable, safe, secure, and reliable access to electric, gas, steam, telecommunications, and water services for New York State’s residential and business consumers, while protecting the natural environment. The Department also seeks to stimulate effective competitive markets for clean, renewable, and distributed energy resources that benefit New York consumers, as well as product and service innovations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Department of Public Service is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by contacting the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator which can be found under the Accessibility Link on the Department’s webpage at www.dps.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or fax to Human Resources Management at (518)473-9990. Please reference “PSC Operations Clerk 1, posting 00045” when applying.