Minimum Qualifications Preferred Quals:
• A bachelor degree and 10 years in either (i) the banking industry, or (ii) in an examination and supervisory capacity at a state or federal banking regulatory agency;
• Strong intellectual and management skills, and demonstrate initiative and dedication to risk management and improvement of processes in a complex and rapidly changing environment.
• Experience in dealing with complex US and foreign banking organizations is desirable.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, more transparent and resilient financial system that benefits New Yorkers and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation, and operational excellence, DFS is responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health and stability of the financial entities we regulate; and driving economic growth through responsible innovation.
DFS is seeking executive level applicants to fill the position of Deputy Superintendent of Foreign and Wholesale Banks (FWB) in the Banking Division. Duties will include, but not be limited to:
• Supervises and/or regulates the institutions for which FWB has responsibility;
• Meets with staff of the unit regularly to discuss the day-to-day activities of FWB, and keeps staff informed of developments;
• Plans, directs and coordinates examinations of financial institutions for which FWB has responsibility;
• Organizes assignments or arrangements of commissions to examiners at all levels;
• Develops standards and methods for examining institutions and review, or arranges for the review, of reports on the financial condition of institutions, the adequacy of their operations and the capability of management;
• Directs, or arranges the direction of letters to institutions to convey examination findings, and calls attention of the management to corrective actions desired;
• Proposes and participates in regulatory or disciplinary actions against financial institutions for which FWB has responsibility and refers certain matters to Enforcement with continued oversight by FWB;
• Participates in developing policies and procedures for FWB;
• Participates in the development of appropriate training for personnel in FWB;
• Meets with regulated institutions to discuss policies, exam findings, problems or issues, and participation in their resolution;
• Organizes regular participation by the staff of FWB in supervisory and resolution colleges, as well as crisis management group meetings of regulated institutions;
• Developes a collaborative working relationship with international, federal and other state counterparts, and organizes regular supervsiory meetings for the staff of FWB with both domestic and international regulatory counterparts;
• Keeps informed of regulatory changes as they impact the institutions under FWB’s supervision, and advises the senior management of the Banking Division, including the Executive Deputy Superintendent, as appropriate;
• Regularly advises the senior management of the Banking Division of significant developments impacting regulated institutions and makes necessary recommendations;
• Works on special agency-wide initiatives proposed by the senior management of the Banking Division or the Superintendent;
• Provides, or arranges for the provision of, evaluation or performance appraisal of personnel in FWB;
• Communicates regularly with trade associations or industry groups relevant to the institutions supervised by FWB;
• Developes a collaborative relationship with other Divisions within DFS; and
• Routinely handles multiple priorities on a regular basis.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than January 31, 2023 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box DSFWB-DFSP3-10142) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.