Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list for this title in order to be list appointed. If you are on the examination eligible list for the position title in this location, you do not need to respond to this posting unless you are also eligible for appointment by one of the qualifications listed below.
Information about this examination for this title series can be found at https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/dashboard-start/lower-level-it-oc.cfm
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and candidates with 55 b/c eligibility are encouraged to apply. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. For 55 b/c consideration, candidates must satisfy at least one of the following:
1. A Bachelor’s or higher-level degree in computer science, computer information systems, telecommunications, or management information systems; OR
2. A Bachelor’s or higher-level degree in any field including or supplemented by 15 credit hours in computer science with at least 9 credit hours in programming languages; OR
3. A Bachelor’s or higher-level degree in any field AND at least one year of experience in one or more of the following computer related areas: Computer programming, business/systems analysis, program design or program testing; OR
4. A minimum of 60 college semester credit hours including at least 15 credit hours in computer science AND at least one year of experience in one or more of the following computer related areas: Computer programming, business/systems analysis, program design or program testing; OR
5. A total of two years of experience in the following computer related areas: Computer programming, business/systems analysis, program design or program testing.
Duties Description The NYS Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is the State’s centralized Information Technology organization responsible for the design, support and management of technology solutions that drive the State’s most important policy initiatives and support the business, operations and critical missions of 50+ state agencies. NYS ITS is a single, enterprise-grade IT organization designed to optimize IT investments across all of state government, advance IT service delivery best practices and enhance government services to its’ citizens.
NYS ITS seeks creative, motivated individuals to be part of a connected community of technology professionals. NYS ITS creates opportunities for our employees to build new skills, achieve a higher degree of mastery, and take on bigger challenges. We look for innovative solutions that anticipate our partners’ needs, extending into the foreseeable future. We maintain a working environment that empowers our employees to think and act creatively in the best interest of our organization, client-agencies, the State and its citizens and businesses.
This posting will be used to fill multiple positions throughout the NYS Office of Information Technology Services. For a description of each of the available positions, please go to the applicant survey at https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7135331/Applicant-Interest-Form-IT-Series-December-2022. Click Next, and select the title(s) of interest. Please also see Notes on Applying for additional details. A general duties description is as follows:
Incumbents of these positions will perform or assist in performing technical activities related to writing instructions (code), application program development, program and system testing, and business/systems analysis and design in accordance with the Civil Service Classification Standards which can be reviewed at:
Additional Comments Some positions may require fingerprinting.
Some positions may require up to 25% travel and/or lifting up to 50 lbs. Some positions are pending Civil Service approval. Details of position(s) will be described further if you are selected for an interview.
Positions located in New York City, will receive an additional $3,203 downstate adjustment location pay with regular annual salary.
Benefits of Working for NYS Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF.
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Corning Tower, 26th Floor
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY: Copy and paste the following URL into your web browser and complete the Application Interest Form. You may apply for multiple positions with one submission. Upload your cover letter and resume before submitting: https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7135331/Applicant-Interest-Form-IT-Series-December-2022. Your selection(s) in the survey are matched to the hiring manager(s) needs. If you qualify for the position(s) your resume will be forwarded to the hiring manager(s) to review. Physical locations of positions are subject to change due to operational need at any time.
Please note, we will also canvass the appropriate eligible lists for these vacancies. Therefore, candidates on the eligible lists need only apply to the vacancy postings if they meet the minimum qualifications outlined in the posting, and are interested in appointment to the position(s) via the methods listed in the minimum qualifications (ie: 52.6 or 70.1 transfer, etc.). Hiring managers are provided the cover letters and resumes of interested eligible list candidates resulting from the canvass and qualified candidates resulting from the posting.
For additional information, FAQ’s can be found on ITS’ website at:
If you have any further questions or have any issues with the survey, please contact ITS Human Resources by email at HRresumes@ogs.ny.gov indicating "Survey Questions" in the subject line or by telephone at (518) 473-5282.
Your Social Security number may be required in order to confirm eligibility.