AgencyGeneral Services, Office of
TitleBusiness Services Center Representative 1
Occupational CategoryNo Preference
Bargaining UnitASU - Administrative Services Unit (CSEA)
Salary RangeFrom $43648 to $53490 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 9 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Applicants who are currently 55b/c eligible AND possess the minimum qualifications listed below under Open Competitive Provisional Pending Examination are encouraged to apply for this position.
*If applying under this section, please note you will need to submit a copy of your valid 55b/c approval letter from Civil Service along with your resume.
PROVISIONAL PENDING EXAMINATION:
Either 1. two years of full-time experience in a position where your primary responsibility is providing customer service in the form of explaining programs, policies, and/or procedures; resolving problems; or reconciling accounts;
2. one year of full-time business or human resources office experience in one or more of the following:
accounts payable, accounts receivable and/or bookkeeping; processing payroll transactions; processing travel expense reports and/or reimbursements; processing personnel, benefits and/or time and attendance transactions; reviewing requisitions for purchase, and initiating and processing purchase orders.
3. 30 semester credit hours of college-level study AND one year of the experience stated in qualification #1; OR 30 semester credit hours of college-level study AND six months of the experience stated in qualification #2;
4. 60 semester credit hours of college-level study.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience limited to positions such as cashier, supermarket clerk, department store clerk, greeter, retail clerk, forms processor, bartender, wait staff, fast food worker, restaurant worker, operator/driver, bus driver, mental health aide, direct care or home health aide, social worker, counselor, gas station attendant, officer, security guard
Duties Description The incumbent of this position will work primarily in one of the Business Services Center Finance, Human Resources or Support service lines and will be cross trained to temporarily be reassigned to another service area depending on workload demands. All service lines operate in a customer service-oriented environment using lean tools. Duties typical of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Have a thorough knowledge of the policies and procedures that relate to the particular service line with the ability to apply them.
• Process service line specific transactions in accordance with standard work and the service line service level agreement.
• Act as a BSC Call Center Representative. Have a working knowledge of the BSC ticketing system.
• Conduct both written and telephone communications and prepare email correspondence to customers, vendors, program administrators and others regarding requesting information.
• Resolve difficult processing errors, identify processing system user needs and other more complex transactions.
• Analyze data and resolves complex auditing problems related to various NYS business practices, including various audit functions and related processes.
• May lead daily “huddles” assign work to lower level processing staff, as needed.
• Collaborate with supervisors and participate in all LEAN activities.
• Consistently provide quality customer service to all BSC customers.
Additional Comments The Business Services Center (BSC) was established in September 2012 to make Human Resources and Finance transaction processing consistent across New York State government agencies. Since its inception, the BSC has increased efficiencies and lowered costs across the state. The BSC supports advancement and frequently promotes their employees in consideration of their hard work and dedication to the Office of General Services-BSC core mission. If you are looking for growth opportunities in an agency that fosters individual staff development, we encourage you to apply to this position.
NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address HRresumes@ogs.ny.gov
Street NYS Office of General Services, HRM
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a cover letter and/or resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications. Indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number of each position you are applying to.